gate entryway ideas needed

BostonBull

I know some of you have landscape design experience so I am hoping I can get a few ideas here.

I just installed a fence, and this gate is driving me nuts. There is a 10" grade change the way I have it now. In these pictures the posts, gate and ground are all dead level. The lawn side/backside of gate is the natural terrain. All the grass on the frontside of the fence will be removed and replaced with mulch........

Whaddya think????

Attachments

tomthetreeman

I don't fully understand the problem... It looks like you need to put in a rectangular 'landing' (4' or so on each side) and a step cut into the grade if needed. Does this help?

-Tom

Cameron

Looks like a nice oppertunity to do a paver walk way with a retaining wall on the low side and let the grade meet the pavers level on the high side. Keep the walkway level from side to side. I believe you can have upto a two foot wall before you need a railing. I can post some pictures tomorrow of what I have done at my place. Nice fence.

BostonBull

the issue is.....if I make it rectangular 4' long on both sides of the gate, I would need to build up and retain the low side. by doing this, I would then have a step down going into my lawn. I think this would look funny?
I am also lost as to what material to use? I envisioned cobblestones on the low side to retain the additional soil, and granite slab for the step.........but I know NOTHING!

tomthetreeman

I think it would look nice with the step and slab 'cut in' to the grade... On another note, here's the juniper I mentioned in the other thread. It's J. horizontalis 'Bar Harbor:'

JeffL

So the "front" of the gate where you currently have it dug out will remain part of the mulch bed, and be recovered in mulch, and you are looking mainly for a solution to the backside where the grade is a bit off?

If you've already gone through that much work, and want to keep the solution "simple", I might suggest slightly regrading the bank on the uphill side of the gate, to give it a more gradual grade change, and set a large paver stone on the backside of the gate flush in the ground.

So basically, I'd dig out and set the paver stone on the back side of the gate, and then just regrade/reseed the lawn accordingly to make it all some nice smooth transitions. Goshen stone all the way!

BostonBull

Jeffl:
Yes the area in the front will all become a mulched area. That is the triangle area I spoke of in my other thread.
I am looking for a formal entryway for this. Although a stone on the hinge side might be the bandaid for now.

Sciuropterus:
We were going to do the sloped pickets, but decided a level entryway of sorts would look nicer.