Gas vs. Battery Powered pole saw

Reach

Stihl HT131. Nothing else worth buying in my opinion. It has plenty of power, the telescopic feature is nice, and is reliable, and other than when someone drops the thing with a tree on top of it and bends the inner shaft, we don’t see any need to take it to the shop for repair.

The power pruner is one of the most used tools we own, for pruning on occasion but mostly for limbing up felled trees and large tops the crane puts on the ground.

27RMT0N

Agree. I have the HT133 and I always tell people I'd give up any one of my 'normal' chainsaws before I'd get rid of that. It opens up a lot of opportunities that you could simply never do with a manual pole saw like easily making 10-12" cuts, or being a safe distance from limbs under tension. Never tried a battery one and I'm sure the light weight would be nice, but I make so many big cuts I need the power of the biggest gas pole saw.

Merle Nelson

Agree with the posts above. If I only had one I would buy the HT 131 first. It will run as long as you put gas in it, can pull a 14 inch bar full of hardwood. But it's a pound or two heavier than the HT 101 and not as pleasant to run as the very quiet Husky battery version.

Hopefully soon the Husky will come out with the T540i XP motor and battery tech moved over to a pole saw - so maybe a good reason to hold up on that battery purchase for a while longer.

Jonny

I too enjoyed the HT131, but I’d like another go with the Echo. PPT260 I think. They had a cool circular saw blade attachment for it too, left surprisingly clean cuts and was very fast. It was a long time ago that I ran it, and I was new to the work, but I remember it being very comfortable to wield with the different handle. I tried searching for that circular blade attachment and I’m finding nothing. It was a different head, it wasn’t a Kombi/ PAS attachment type thing.
I’m in the market for one now too, but can’t make up my mind, just that it’ll be dinosaur powered. Probably Echo though.

colb

I have several Milwaukee M18 tools, including their pole saw. It is evident that it is less powerful than the Stihl gasser. However, it is extremely useful. I would not want any other pole saw. I have five batteries for all of my M18 tools. A lithium-only jobsite is low-decibel, and thus a peaceful experience and conducive to safety and productivity. My only beef with being dedicated to the M18 lineup is that there is no M18 tophandle yet... That Husky 541 tophandle looks nice from this side of the fence, but I don't want to buy 2 or 3 dedicated batteries for a single saw. I guess my point is that you can use all of these guys info for perspective on what might be good for you. You have a complex setup and some pole saw somewhere is calling your name.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Echo PPT-2620 is a good solid 2 cycle power pruner. It's got superior reach, a lot of bang for the buck, and a 2 year warranty for commercial users. 5 years for a homeowner. I bought mine about 15 years ago. Still starts on the third pull and wants to eat wood all day.

RyanCafferky

I like the husky battery powered pole saw. It works just as good as a gas one, but always 'starts' and fits in the bed box on my bucket truck so it's always with us.

I second this. My battery powered Husky pole saw comes out on so many jobs. This week we have been doing storm cleanup in Portland and it has been invaluable while dealing with trees on houses. It is light weight and because it is electric you can hold it in ways and use it in positions that would be difficult to impossible with a gas powered unit where you have to consider the exhaust. Certainly one of my favorite tools.

Fivepoints

I second this. My battery powered Husky pole saw comes out on so many jobs. This week we have been doing storm cleanup in Portland and it has been invaluable while dealing with trees on houses. It is light weight and because it is electric you can hold it in ways and use it in positions that would be difficult to impossible with a gas powered unit where you have to consider the exhaust. Certainly one of my favorite tools.
I was using mine today to trip the trigger on some trees I bore cut that were really sketchy. Had to put a huge amount of pull on them so I didn't want to be anywhere near them when they started moving.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom