Future education

B_Strange

Howdy tree ladies,
My family has a small tree care business and my 11 yo daughter has been bitten by the climbing bug. She loves trees, being outside, and has worked with me numerous times.

Thinking of the future for her; if she wants to make tree work her life would you recommend college? If so any ideas on which ones? Would you suggest going the trade route/ OJT and studying for ISA cert on her own? I’m not against education but the idea of paying 10’s of thousands for a degree that may not really help her in the field kinda grinds my gears.

Any suggestions are appreciated and will be considered. Thanks ya’ll!

Attachments

SumoClimber

Lol, Tom beat me to it. There are some amazing programs here in Cheeselandia. Stevens Point and their College of Natural Resources. Their Urban Forestry program is almost tailor made to turn out Arborists. Not sure how active they are here, but we have at least a couple graduates from there check in here before. Considering how little I've used my "real Degree" I kind of wish I had gone here instead.

There's quite a few different options, with major and minor degrees as well as some masters programs for further progression.

Here's a video based on the CNR(college of natural resources) field station where the students do a hands on learning program for a month and a half during the summer, usually between their 2nd and 3rd program years.

I think one of the things I personally like best out of this program is that the graduates tend not to be one trick ponies. They might be in the Urban Forestry program, but they're learning about whole ecosystems. Many graduate with multiple majors and minors. I believe the Forestry program also gets the students through their initial ISA certification as well.

B_Strange

Lol, Tom beat me to it. There are some amazing programs here in Cheeselandia. Stevens Point and their College of Natural Resources. Their Urban Forestry program is almost tailor made to turn out Arborists. Not sure how active they are here, but we have at least a couple graduates from there check in here before. Considering how little I've used my "real Degree" I kind of wish I had gone here instead.

There's quite a few different options, with major and minor degrees as well as some masters programs for further progression.

Here's a video based on the CNR(college of natural resources) field station where the students do a hands on learning program for a month and a half during the summer, usually between their 2nd and 3rd program years.

I think one of the things I personally like best out of this program is that the graduates tend not to be one trick ponies. They might be in the Urban Forestry program, but they're learning about whole ecosystems. Many graduate with multiple majors and minors. I believe the Forestry program also gets the students through their initial ISA certification as well.
Thanks guys! Wisconsin huh? I hadn’t looked that far from home. We live in one of the least populated counties in Virginia with more cows than people (truly!) and she does love cheese! And cows! Something to consider for sure. She might like to spread her wings up north and enjoy a “real” winter. The program sounds awesome! Thanks!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom