Funny job offer today!!

Alcoley

I was in the top of a maple this morning and a bigger company guy pulled in and offered me a gallery job clear cutting for a pipeline contract. Said I could have all the hours I wanted. I asked about the money and he said $10.50 per hour. I laughed and told him to get off my jobsite. What's the going rate for this kind of work?

ghostice

Well, at least he was there in person! A couple of years ago things were so bad in the oilpatch here in Western Canada that if you had a profile in Indeed or on Facebook, you could be sure of getting phone calls where a heavily accented Indian or Pakistani voice would begin to say you were just what they were looking for and they could offer you a job for sure, if you could just buy a share of the company you'd be working for by giving them, say $35 to $40K to buy in! Scams are still flying thick and fast. Caveat emptor. The RCMP/ FBI commercial crime units are a real growth industry these days . . . .

Alcoley

I've clear cut and logged. Only a dope Fein would work for that price. Hell, I could work for asphundt and make more than that. Half the work and a lot more breaks. Lol

moss

I've clear cut and logged. Only a dope Fein would work for that price. Hell, I could work for asphundt and make more than that. Half the work and a lot more breaks. Lol
The sad thing is this person thinks you didn't realize you'd get the crap hourly rate and he'd get the majority of the contract $ off your back. He's looking for that perfectly desperate climber with substance abuse problems. You can't get your lawn mowed by a teenager for that money.
-AJ

moss

Panhandlers in a Walmart parking lot make more than that.
And JeffGu and I know this from personal experience! "Hey, this is MY Walmart!", "Sez who?", "Ok there's enough to go around, I'll take the door going in you take the door going out", "Yeah buddy, team work all the way!"
-AJ

JeffGu

Yeah... and don't forget our Wally World Beggars Union meeting. Usual place, cardboard box under Salt Creek bridge No. 14 at midnight. Bring your own rubbing alcohol or other beverage.

moss

Yeah... and don't forget our Wally World Beggars Union meeting. Usual place, cardboard box under Salt Creek bridge No. 14 at midnight. Bring your own rubbing alcohol or other beverage.
As you know i’m an excellent outdoor cook, i’ll Have the Sterno cans fired up!
-AJ

JeffGu

Something we learned from the old timey railroad bums and derelicts of the back alleys. For large gatherings, we just burn used motor oil in a 55 gallon drum, and cook in a rusty coffee can suspended from a piece of rebar.

Not for you smart phone and Cabela's catalog types.