Found this dude spiking my trees today..

Phil

Today I heard treework going on behind my house at a neighbors and then walked out to see that they decided to trespass and elevate some of my oak trees. The worst part was they were using spikes.

View attachment 69216

Take a look at the wonderful cuts too:
View attachment 69217
View attachment 69218

What a way to start the week.
I need to know how you handled this if you're willing to share. The village I live in hired a contractor to trim branches off one my massive oaks along the back alley since they were blocking light from from a street light. Perfectly justifiable reason. Even still, I felt violated since they were working on my trees and it was a hack company with no markings on their trucks. I had to get the story from them on why they were there and what they were doing. All I could do was ask them to please not leave stubs. It was one of those "I have a bucket truck so now I do tree work" type of outfits.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double WOW ! Neighbors ! !
Your neighbor did not inform them, or mark the property line ?

I have a neighbor that thinks he "knows it all". (pilot for Northwest / Delta)
Among other things:

1. He cut down small trees along the edge of my woods, and starting mowing it, to expand his yard grass.

2. He started burning brush piles in the woods, unattended for 3 days. It burned 40 ft onto my property.
When confronted, his wife says "they burn intentionally to start trees out West, don't they ?"
He said "well it didn't do any damage". It burned several pine tree seedlings that I planted along the property line; and scorched tree roots.
Not once in 15 min. of conversation did he apologize.

3. He sets off fireworks/rockets several times a year. A couple years ago rocket debris hit my house, 500 ft away ! ! !

Some peoples kids !

BooRad

Wow... that is impressive. Your neighbors either....a) don't know you are a living legend or b) hate you

Or C, does not understand the skill involved for proper tree work and figured they were "getting the same exact job" for far less.

More than assume the company involved was reported to the NJTE board.

Hopefully the climber was just a new kid who doesn't know better and perhaps this event will lead him to more involved future for tree care. We need younger climbers (proper)here in NJ.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
Double WOW ! Neighbors ! !
Your neighbor did not inform them, or mark the property line ?

I have a neighbor that thinks he "knows it all". (pilot for Northwest / Delta)
Among other things:

1. He cut down small trees along the edge of my woods, and starting mowing it, to expand his yard grass.

2. He started burning brush piles in the woods, unattended for 3 days. It burned 40 ft onto my property.
When confronted, his wife says "they burn intentionally to start trees out West, don't they ?"
He said "well it didn't do any damage". It burned several pine tree seedlings that I planted along the property line; and scorched tree roots.
Not once in 15 min. of conversation did he apologize.

3. He sets off fireworks/rockets several times a year. A couple years ago rocket debris hit my house, 500 ft away ! ! !

Some peoples kids !
Sounds like a great neighbor :D

Merle Nelson

A contractor was building a house on a lot about 15 years ago, had a friend of mine take down some offensive Euc trees before he started. Trouble was those trees were not actually on his property.

After some court time it cost the contractor and my friends insurance $75,000.00 and two sets of lawyer fees.

Even if a person didn't want to use a lawyer, small claims court would be in order and mitigation fees as high as it takes to bandaid the situation up.

There are few things I would sue with regard to - willful malice being the first exception. Shoot I would offer an attorney all the proceeds if he would take it on and go for "the gold."

Jonny

That would piss me off. Not a good time of year to be wounding some oaks either. That will go from bad to worse if oak wilt shows. Your neighbor should spring for the fungicide treatment.

Birdyman88

I had two instances last year alone. One at a few houses up from my main property. Crew spiked a prune on an oak, stripped one side to 50 ft, AND cut off all the branch collars in the process. Our friends next door were furious because the neighbor never said anything to them and they took some branches from their trees in the process. All said and done, I got a new customer out of that deal. The fact they had CA badges on their trucks made it doubly shameful. And guess whose salesman popped onto my job site a few months later touting their excellent work and offering up their "all-star" climber? I asked him about spiking prunes and he said it doesn't hurt the tree. If I'm lying, I'm dying.

Had another at my rental property. My neighbor had a crew hack my back maples and leave heading cuts everywhere. I fixed it, but the neighbor acted like an ass when I spoke to her about it. Told her I would have done it for her if she'd just called me. That got her later offer on my rental property rejected, with a note in her mailbox stating I gave her offer the same consideration they gave my trees. I remodeled property and just sold it for top dollar.;)

Mark, there is a god.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom