Fly line eye splice

Phil

Anybody have instructions for splicing Teufelberger (New England) "Fly" climbing line? Can't find anything anywhere. Treestuff and wesspur both have hyperlink to the supposed splice instructions but neither works. Wesspur only sells with sewn eyes but my research has led me to believe this is hand spliceable.

Best I can come up with is an assumption that Teufelberger is reorganizing their splice protocol and has scrubbed all mention of formerly acceptable splices. Looks like they have or will be developing new instructions for their ropes based on this web page:

Can anybody here share some insight?

Brocky

You won’t be as thankful after you try it, not one of my favorites. Takes a few before they look presentable and has cover tail on the outside, another strike against it.

Phil

You won’t be as thankful after you try it, not one of my favorites. Takes a few before they look presentable and has cover tail on the outside, another strike against it.
I was looking through the instructions and had to do a double take on that bit of cover on the outside. I thought it looked kinda wonky but wasn't gonna say anything haha.

Brocky

There was supposed to be a SPlife splice for it, but after starting their program I’ve not heard any more from them. They were also going to come out with an approved splice for hitch cords?
The Marlow Vega may be an option, but I’ve found the cover tail can not be buried in some ropes.

Phil

Ok, here's the splice...mostly done. I had issues pulling the core through for the final 6" bury. I was using a wire fid and the fid kept grabbing one of the core yarns so I had to gently tug on each core yarns up in the throat of the splice until I got the one the fid was grabbing. Then I had no freaking idea how to work all the core yarns back where they needed to go to sister both sides of the splice nicely. I ended up pulling the core out (that's the tiny core puff) farther down the rope and that allowed me to snug up the splice throat. I wasn't able to milk that little bit of the core puff that's still hemorrhaged out back in. I'm going to play the whole rope out in a straight line and have my buddy hold the core at the other end while I milk the whole length of rope to rezero the cover and core...hopefully getting that puff back in and equalized. I still have to cut and taper the core tail and cut the empty cover but that's easy. The throat is whipped, just have to melt the little tails. Then add hear shrink. It won't look bad when it's done but this was a son of a bitch. I felt the NE instructions were lacking information. Like why bother marking where the core is initially pulled from the cover? They never mention how to use that point as a reference.

In any case, I want to know how someone is supposed to make all 4 marks match up without pulling the core out down the line the way I did.

Attachments

• IMG_1768_20210201_170730.jpg
    IMG_1768_20210201_170730.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom