First Time DRT

Njdelaney

When I was first buying gear to learn climbing, I bought a 150' piece of 12-strand called Blue Ox from Amazon. My first rec climb was with a couple experts and they voiced some concern about whether this rope would work with either my RR or Wrench so I used one of their climb lines instead. After buying a long length of Xstatic and a 90' piece of Tachyon, I couldn't figure out what to do with this rope. Then, I had the idea to try it for a minimal gear DRT climb. It is heavy and soft and holds a knot really well. Although I've only climbed SRT so far I figured it would be useful to know another technique. I went with a Blake's hitch and a clove hitch to hold the carabiner to my saddle and no other gear. I did the pull and hip thrust method for the first 20 feet and then decided to add foot locking which made it about a million times easier and faster. The hitch broke without too much effort and was easy to control in terms of descent speed. My wife snapped this picture of me hanging around relaxing.
IMG_67831.jpg IMG_67821.jpg

Treezybreez

Ha ha! I started out with the Blake's and gradually moved through various hitch combinations until I started accessing the canopy with SRS. Took me a while to finally drop DDRT completely. Although, I still use a Blake's on the tail end of my climbing line in certain situations. SRS completely changed the way I planned my climb. Don't wear yourself out now.;)

Njdelaney

I figured someone would notice. I always wear a helmet but I forgot this time so my bad. I think having my hood up tricked me into thinking it was already on. I got up to my friction saver and looked down to see my helmet sitting on the ground. All policing is welcome in the spirit of safety! This old Mulberry is an awesome tree and is one of my favorite things about our house.

colb

I figured someone would notice. I always wear a helmet but I forgot this time so my bad. I think having my hood up tricked me into thinking it was already on. I got up to my friction saver and looked down to see my helmet sitting on the ground. All policing is welcome in the spirit of safety! This old Mulberry is an awesome tree and is one of my favorite things about our house.
:LOL: Sometimes I will get going and realize my chin strap is not buckled... I'm trying to buckle it now as soon as I put it on so I don't forget. Feels weird to buckle it when I'm just carrying it to the back yard, but whatevs... Honestly, I suspect it's healthier on average to rec climb without a helmet than to not climb, so good on ya. That said, I've seen and heard about a few things happening during rec climbs that I know it's good to wear them. We had a dead 6" diameter live oak stick pendulum swing way sideways, come off, and almost hit us once. We were test pulling on a different branch... Someone else I know was up in a wild tree and it wasn't clean. They had some dead sticks come out and almost hit someone. While working a couple months ago, I had a dead pine branch (4"x3') hit me on the head while I was pull testing without a helmet... So I'm changing my behavior these days because I'm seeing more low-odds incidents occur as my career lengthens. That is an amazing mulberry. I had no idea they attained that substantial a structure.

Njdelaney

Yeah that tree is 42"-48" DBH and has a crazy shape to it. It is the last to leaf out in the spring and last to drop leaves in the fall, and lucky for me it doesn't fruit anymore.
I love mulberries but prefer to have them fall in someone else's yard haha. Those mulberry leaves are so opaque that it makes a wonderful big chunk of shade in the yard. If you look at the big branches on the right of the picture you can barely see that one diverged into two, and then the weight of the lower one started to split the whole branch back towards the trunk. @treebing cabled the two pieces back together for us and watching him work is when the climbing bug first bit me, although it took me a couple years to get started.

Last edited:

colb

Yeah that tree is 42"-48" DBH and has a crazy shape to it. It is the last to leaf out in the spring and last to drop leaves in the fall, and lucky for me it doesn't fruit anymore.
I love mulberries but prefer to have them fall in someone else's yard haha. Those mulberry leaves are so opaque that it makes a wonderful big chunk of shade in the yard. If you look at the big branches on the right of the picture you can barely see that one diverged into two, and then the weight of the lower one started to split the whole branch back towards the trunk. @treebing cabled the two pieces back together for us and watching him work is when the climbing bug first bit me, although it took me a couple years to get started.
Now you can pick them! :LOL:

Jemco

I've been doin a lotta prunin of late too.

Love my new CMI foot ascendor instead of foot lockin!

Old school DDRT hasn't failed me yet.

Old folks need exercise dang it!

Jemco

Bart_

If you're not getting full enjoyment out of hip thrusting, you've got to have the vision of "Yeah, I'm Tom Jones on stage singing What's new pussycat Whoaoaoaoa" complete with the unbuttoned shirt outfit in your head. Yup. Might improve your style points anyway if nothing else. Old arborist truth.....

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom