Fictional Favorites

DSW

Have either of you seen the movie yet?

Just recently finished my reread of Dune as well in preparation for the movie coming out here in the US in the upcoming weeks! Also read Crime & Punishment which is an awesome book. I just ordered War & Peace and The Brothers Karamazov the other day.

Two other fiction books I recently finished were The Hobbit and 2001 A Space Odyssey. Both awesome books as well!

@DBH
No chastising from me I didn’t actually read it- I listened to it on tape! And yes looking forward to the movie.

Last edited:

Jonny

Been here a while
Finished Filth, and am 3/4 of the way through SkagBoys both by Irvine Welsh. Read Trainspotting a while ago, I’ll probably read it again after SkagBoys, since it’s the prequel.

He writes the Scottish dialect phonetically, it’s a little tricky at first, but then my eyes and brain got used to it. Still a couple words I don’t understand at all.

Pretty dark and disturbing stuff, sometimes funny, sometimes sweet and touching. Definitely elicits an emotional response. Some of it makes me wanna use again, but it’s not a powerful crave, and I’m very much past that hurdle. I get like that from books sometimes lol, not just drugs, but food and drink too. I once had to put a book down and run to the store to buy the stuff for a root beer float, just because of how an author briefly described one.

DSW

Finished Filth, and am 3/4 of the way through SkagBoys both by Irvine Welsh. Read Trainspotting a while ago, I’ll probably read it again after SkagBoys, since it’s the prequel.

He writes the Scottish dialect phonetically, it’s a little tricky at first, but then my eyes and brain got used to it. Still a couple words I don’t understand at all.

Pretty dark and disturbing stuff, sometimes funny, sometimes sweet and touching. Definitely elicits an emotional response. Some of it makes me wanna use again, but it’s not a powerful crave, and I’m very much past that hurdle. I get like that from books sometimes lol, not just drugs, but food and drink too. I once had to put a book down and run to the store to buy the stuff for a root beer float, just because of how an author briefly described one.

I read Trainspotting, Requiem for a Dream, and A Clockwork Orange many years ago. I really had only read novels in school so being a bit older in age and realizing not everything was some dry book that seemed so old and boring blew my mind. The irony being most of what I read these days. by choice, could be classified as old and boring. :)

I've re-read A Clockwork Orange since and I really like his unique style.

Pulling for you that you always choose root beer floats instead of using. :)

climbingmonkey24

Branched out member
I haven’t read a lot of fiction as an adult. More nonfiction. I’ve got a ton of good recommendations there for anyone interested.

But the thing is I love to read. Always looking for good recommendations.

I did read a 24 series that was based off the show 24 which was neat. I believe it’s called 24 Declassified. And then some other 24 books built off the show.

Also, I may get some laughs for this but one of my favorite fictional series that I have read in my life is the Harry Potter series. Laugh if you must, but it is such a greatly written series. :p

Last edited:

Jonny

Been here a while
I teased a coworker about reading Harry Potter, this was before I read any of them. Once I started on the first one, I couldn’t stop. Really well written, starts off very fun and somewhat lighthearted. Later on it’s a lot of adult issues; greed, death, corruption, torture, murder, all while keeping along with the normal stuff that teens should be going through as well like awkward first romances and trying to keep the grades up.

I’m a book snob over movies almost always, but the Harry Potter films were amazing too. Loved em.

Steve Connally

Been here a while
Movies weren’t bad, but would definitely recommend reading books before seeing movies because the movies leave certain things out.
I've gotta say I listened to the books on tape, Amazing job by the English gentleman who narrated them. Unlike many movies, the casting of the characters were so much like what I had in my mind from the book. For me, they nailed it!! I do agree, some things were left out but mostly they nailed it.

Reach

Been here a while
I have been on a John Grisham kick recently, but after reading a few of his books (always excellent choices) I switched to a run through some Tom Clancy books. Currently reading Wothout Remorse, which tells the backstory of the legendary character John Clark. It is a book that explains a lot, connects a lot of dots about the man who saves the world in the background in most of Clancy’s other books.

BooRad

Just finished The Last Green Valley. Highly recommend.

Small clue..Historical Fiction, see how tough some people had life -pre and post WWII era.

Favorite books -
F. Forsyth, "Avenger."
S Woods - "Cheifs"

Treezybreez

Carpal tunnel level member
I favor stories of survival.

All Quiet on the Western Front by: Erich Maria Remarque is a good one.

Last of the Breed by: Louis L'amour is probably my favorite fictional survival story.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom