Felling Large Hollow Oak Split In Half

evo

I don’t get it. You shaved the sides because your saw was too small, yet you knew it was hollow as a drum. You also knew that you were compromising any minimal hinge wood.
You can see how that fat corner broke on your kerf from shaving.. it would be nice if you actually posted here so we could have a convo about this.
Ballsy, and sub par. You got lucky, and at least you strapped the tree and skaddled outta there

rico

I don’t get it. You shaved the sides because your saw was too small, yet you knew it was hollow as a drum. You also knew that you were compromising any minimal hinge wood.
You can see how that fat corner broke on your kerf from shaving.. it would be nice if you actually posted here so we could have a convo about this.
Ballsy, and sub par. You got lucky, and at least you strapped the tree and skaddled outta there
I feel I may have been partially responsible for Kenny choosing to no longer mix it up here on TB so I was gonna refrain from comment but I swear Youtube is gonna be the death of good tree-work. It seems so many of these folks lack the proper training under professional tutelage, and it appears that they are making it up as they go. Oh well, what ya gonna do?

rico

My imagination is all I need, and I’m good with that, logger boy..
Amazing you should say that cuz I'm sitting here in nothing but my caulks watching American History X as we speak! Haven't seen it in years but Damn I love this movie!

evo

Amazing you should say that cuz I'm sitting here in nothing but my caulks watching American History X as we speak! Haven't seen it in years but Damn I love this movie!
Sounds like appropriate attire! Damn good movie but damn hard to watch. Finish the evening with “My Own Private Idaho” blend them together and well it’s close to an autobiography

TallTreeClimber

I really enjoy watching these well made videos of moderate length.

Thanks for posting.

How do you keep the video quality high? Youtube seems to downgrade my video when I upload them.

Last edited:

JeffGu

Hmm. It's on the ground, it's cut up and dealt with, nobody was hurt, none of it looked unsafe, and he had an entire empty field for a landing zone. If he wants to give it a haircut and a shave, tell it nursery rhymes and read it a bedtime story... who cares?

The world's greatest football coaches are sitting in a Lazy Boy recliner, drinking beer, watching the game on a TV and screaming about what a dumb ass Coach Whoever is for calling the wrong play.

Yeah, it wasn't perfect. Sometimes the plan is great, sometimes you're winging it. You could ask me to drop a giant Redwood tree and I'd probably need a week to plan it out... because 99% of the trees in this state are under 90' tall and under 5' DBH and even those ones creep me out.

Kenny's tree fell down pretty much where it was supposed to. I'm good with that.

rico

Hmm. It's on the ground, it's cut up and dealt with, nobody was hurt, none of it looked unsafe, and he had an entire empty field for a landing zone. If he wants to give it a haircut and a shave, tell it nursery rhymes and read it a bedtime story... who cares?

The world's greatest football coaches are sitting in a Lazy Boy recliner, drinking beer, watching the game on a TV and screaming about what a dumb ass Coach Whoever is for calling the wrong play.

Yeah, it wasn't perfect. Sometimes the plan is great, sometimes you're winging it. You could ask me to drop a giant Redwood tree and I'd probably need a week to plan it out... because 99% of the trees in this state are under 90' tall and under 5' DBH and even those ones creep me out.

Kenny's tree fell down pretty much where it was supposed to. I'm good with that.
I agree that it was a no harm no foul situation. He could have left his saw at home and yarded it over with a truck. My comment was more about how in this new internet era there are quite a few tree-men out there that seem to lack the years of training under the tutelage of pro, as was done in the days of old.

Mr. Gu you need to get your narrow ass out here sometime and climb a 200 footer. You will love it!

evo

All good points, and I wing it all the time.. I had a tall small diameter dead alder go over sideways on me, knowing that the only hazard of it doing so was a mail box.. It missed the mail box, no harm no foul. Buttt if I recorded that shit to use it for promotion and voiced over explaining myself, that is a different story.. Let alone posting on a tree forum just to gain youtube views for ego stroking, but never posting or discussing leaves it wide open..

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom