Favorite rope ZigZag

JJM IV

I have been using 11mm Blue Moon with my newer ZigZag (incl Chicane) but it has started to slip. I cleaned my rope and ZigZag but still have slip. What are folks' favorite rope (performance / cost / durability)? Thx

deevo

That’s the exact same thing that happened to one of my climbers @Limb It he tried a few different ropes, same thing. Suspecting it had something to do with the Chicane wearing it out prematurely , he tried Contacting the place where he bought it and no luck getting a replacement or any kind of headway.
I have been using 11mm Blue Moon with my newer ZigZag (incl Chicane) but it has started to slip. I cleaned my rope and ZigZag but still have slip. What are folks' favorite rope (performance / cost / durability)? Thx

Limb It

I've climbed on every generation of the ZigZag, mainly with Blue Moon. They all worked out great until the Chicane came along. I rode my previous ZZ pretty hard and it had started to slip on me around the time that I got the Chicane, but I didn't connect the dots immediately but instead chocked it up to the ZZ being worn out and I bought myself a ZZ Plus. I don't do a lot of SRT climbing any more so it lasted me a few good months (rather than years with every other ZZ I've used) before I started to notice any slipping. Far less lifespan than it should have. I tried Drenaline and the slipping was worse which was to be expected. When it was recommended that I switch off of a Class B rope from the Petzl rep, I tried Blue Tongue. The very same thing happened.

Look for how the Chicane cams up and hauls the rope through the ZZ links. I suspect that is what is causing the damage.

The best fix I found for my ZZ was to chuck it in the fuck it bucket and buy a Spiderjack.

Video of mine slipping with the Chicane. https://youtu.be/A_9fObCUZnI

Last edited:

surveyor

I would be curious to see if your zigzag that is creeping with the chicane, works properly with the rope wrench above....

27RMT0N

Huh. So I watched your video and doublechecked the specs on the ZigZag which says 11.5mm-13mm, and the Blue Moon you are using is 11.7. So the rope is within the range, is it flattening and thus getting 'thinner' and more slippery?

I am a big fan of the ZigZag and actually have three of them in my current rotation: The new version on 12mm Teufelberger Safety Blue in what I call my 'heavy' DRT setup, the previous gen on 11.8mm Samson Voyager in my 'light' DRT setup, and another older gen ZigZag I use with a Chicane on 11.8mm Teufelberger Drenaline. Never had it slip on any of these ropes, nor any other configuration I've run, SRT or DRT.

Limb It

If you look at the base of the tree there is a huge pile of rope. It's two hanks of Blue Moon (previous to this test one end of the Blue Moon had never been climbed on) and one Drenaline. The performance was the same from all 6 ends of rope. Blue Tongue performs better than the rope in the video, but not enough for me to trust it.

I have been a huge proponent of the ZZ, even back in 2013 when I was climbing on the OG. Obviously I lost trust in the original when the recalls happened but Petzl made good on the product with the 2014, and even though my original 14 went back because of a cracked plate, the replacement went strong until last summer when I started using it in an SRT configuration.

I honestly think that the ZZ+ would last years as a MRS Device only, but based solely on my own experiences I would not recommend using them for SRT.

JeffGu

I have several ZZs (v2, v3, v4), but only one Chicane. I've been using it on a 13mm 16-strand and a 13mm 32-strand kernmantle without issues (v3 ZZ), but those are fat ropes. The only rope (in DdRT) that I can remember slippage happening was with KM 3 MAX, but that rope is under 11.5mm under load. Still, I used it for several months... it would just coast a few inches before stopping, but I never felt like it was unsafe. I use them with Yale 11.7 ropes, DrenaLINE and Voyager mostly. No issues. Last two are my favorites.

I'm 185, probably 200 with gear, or a bit more with saws.

I don't have enough climb time on the Chicane combo to have a strong opinion one way or the other. It's working for me with the fat ropes, so far... but these are new, chunky ropes. I actually have to give a little bounce to get it moving, sometimes.

I've always wondered why so many of us have such different results with the same gear. Weight is the only thing that seems obvious to me. I'm probably missing something that's even more important.

Handy2

I got a new ZZ and Blue moon at the same time, absolutely no slipping. Got a Rope Wrench to try SRT, and on the one descent where I used it, it would take about 6” to stop. I’m 165 w/o gear. Maybe humidity and temperature are also factors at play?

Brocky

I got a new ZZ and Blue moon at the same time, absolutely no slipping. Got a Rope Wrench to try SRT, and on the one descent where I used it, it would take about 6” to stop. I’m 165 w/o gear. Maybe humidity and temperature are also factors at play?
Sounds like more to do with the hitch than atmospheric conditions.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom