Favorite Applied Physics Resource?

DBH

I'm making my way through the Schultz Effect (which is about climbing but this topic seems better suited for rigging...even though technically you are rigging yourself while climbing :bananahappy:) and realized I should probably brush up and expand my understanding of physics.

I've run ropes a lot for @oceans but I'm starting to climb more and want to have that sweet sweet mental tool kit with me whilst aloft.

Art and Science of Practical Rigging worth a read?

Thank yew in advance for yon knowledge.

oceans

Been here a while
I'm making my way through the Schultz Effect (which is about climbing but this topic seems better suited for rigging...even though technically you are rigging yourself while climbing :bananahappy:) and realized I should probably brush up and expand my understanding of physics.

I've run ropes a lot for @oceans but I'm starting to climb more and want to have that sweet sweet mental tool kit with me whilst aloft.

Art and Science of Practical Rigging worth a read?

Thank yew in advance for yon knowledge.
Aaaand it begins! Welcome to the forum, brother! Very happy to see this post from you...and yes, worth a read in my opinion. Older resource material is still based on the same foundation as more current tools and techniques.

Reactions: DBH

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
If there is one book to read about the physics of treework ASPRn is it.

The books that would be the second place keepers would be quite a library.

Having an understanding of vector forces, redirects and rope stretch will keep you searching for a while. I can't recommend the required reading but I'm sure others will give you some direction.

IT's heartening to hear that someone actually wants to get a book in their hands and read...so retro these days.

DBH

If there is one book to read about the physics of treework ASPRn is it.

The books that would be the second place keepers would be quite a library.
Thanks Tom - Would love to know a few of those that would be in the library. I'm not a fast reader but I do read.

Phil

Branched out member
This is some of the better, "hidden" content I've seen. I say hidden because I would very likely have never even remotely come across these resources/references. I'm going to give that army rigging manual a good read. See if I can get it printed and bound or put into a binder.

I always appreciate the sharing!

Phil

Branched out member
I always like this site:

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
give that army rigging manual a good read

In 3/86 I flew down to PHX to see my folks for a while. On the way from the airport Mom and I stopped at the zoo. A road runner made friends with the RR in my glasses.

After the zoo we stopped at an army/navy surplus store where I found the paper copy. Look around you might find a copy cheaper than printing the whole thing. There is an excellent section on dead mean and picket anchors.

Attachments

• Road runner Phoenix zoo.jpg
    Road runner Phoenix zoo.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 14

TheTreeSpyder

Participating member
This has been a journey for me, and i had lost fm5-125 hard copy long ago, and caught Tom posting same with Sailing Smacks link, perhaps 20+yrs ago and they have been pivotal to unraveling what i have, ty.
But, they were not just magic manuals of immediate knowledge, but rather work, sifting and comparing to all else. Especially the humble Army Manual, that presents as would suspect the raw rudiments, deepest pivotal factors of what is needed. But not presented as a science, exploring those notions, just a how to get'er done with minimal in worst conditions. But then what works there, works even well in better conditions then, and is required in some essence to get to target, but same lessons now more buffered and buried, but still has the rock pivotals that the whole framework of whatever hinges on-literally.
But all in all has been a journey of comparisons, and actual doings, feeling out thru all that can, to find a consistent, logic to the mechanix. Art of Rigging, Ropebook, onRope etc. all good, strong, L-earned from them as well, but no AIO (All In One in computer speak) source have found, pretty much.......except, millenniums ago the Ancients wrote down about cosine and sine, that they distilled from seeing they even commanded the stars across the heavens at night, as an over-ruling force-logic that engulfs the planet, and more.
In the end, ended up back at this beginning in my own chase; to find(in my words):
All displacements of physical space or physical force can be shown by cosine, sine. All, completely, totally as foretold by the star gazers...
Every tree lean, movement, hinge fiber or rope fiber support, angle, added rope or wedge forces 100% USDA prime cosine/sine as reciprocal antagonists sum to the whole event w/o exception. Speed as just displacement per time slice.
Even seen in this, key to me, resource would like to add:
The Mechanics of Friction in Rope Rescue for Dr.Attaway
for radial frictions, from linear frictions theory.
Note how linear frictions we have travel direction and then 90degrees to side sine byproduct only of target direction to invoke frictions of tension x sine if any.
>>But in radial arc, get all tensions (cosine x tension) + (sine x tension) to power frictions
as underlying secret to all rope brakes, capstans, bollards, fig.8's, rappel racks, tree wraps, even knots etc. all in 1 lesson not 50.
Leveraged L-earning to me, to find the deep controlling pivotal works to L-earn, that command the 50, thus fanning out to commanding much more, with much less, thus leveraged lessons!
Not sure if i posted this before here or not; but in layered computer terms i see the singular event cause a wave of spanning out result outcomes as traces thru the whole instance of what event causes.
The next tier of 'translation layer'(computerese) from the single event, are the dual/duels of cosine, sine reciprocal antagonists. as 'pulse wave' of even courses to the next more and more expanding related outcomes of the wave coursing thru to end.
The event and outcomes and amounts will change, the cosine/sine changing as well, but there is always cosine and sine to be named, and on a very deep, pivotally controlling layer as an 'abstraction layer' (computerese) to take the events pulse at, to totally define. Thus, cosine and sine are a decoder key for what is going on in the event and outcomes, don't believe eye and logic in this counterintuitive chase until eye/brain retrained i think is whispered across time.
Sine-cosine-pivotal-cornerstones-of-physical-displacment-of-force-or-space-understandings.png

Even if search runs away from these things, if keep searching will bring you back around to them.
Eventually gave in and started searching there, where ended up continuously.
Aha moments come much quicker and with greater frequency i found.
Just as Doc Shigo invited to touch trees, i had to touch every farm machinery, candy colored rope toy, knot, gear, rigging and knotting manuals etc. to gather these things and hear what they are always and all ways whispering. Even with ABoK, i think of it as lesson numbers, not knot numbers, as there is so much more in some lessons than just being able to tie or name so many knots, as have been grabbing at the underpinnings so long..

Last edited:

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I like the Spanish Burton on there.

When I went to England for the ISA conference I went to the Portsmouth HIstoric Dockyards. While I was on the gundeck of the HMS Warrior I looked up and saw a Spanish Burton rigged to open the gunport I wondered why that was used. As I stood there and studied I realized that the SB was used to provide the power of the 2:1 at the beginning to lift the door. Power was needed to get the door over-center of the hinges. Once it was up to certain point speed was imperative. The other 2:1 setups would provide either more power or more speed but not both like the SB

TheTreeSpyder

Participating member
Studying compound pulley systems, Chinese Windlass/differentials and the 2/1 over own self in DdRT dumbwaiter are key to my understandings and testing of self to same, as chase the rules thru counter intuitive turns and they stay so consistently the same.....
Cracking how smaller gear sprocket at pedals gives more power , but to larger sprocket in rear for more power.
Grabbing principles all the way thru the turn to be same on other side confirms fair grip by you, and the consistencies of rules as well, to more aha moments...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom