Eradicate Lyme?

ATH

Been here a while

A team from Northeastern University have identified an antibiotic that is "harmless" to mammals, is effective against very few other bacteria, and is "resistance proof". Proposal would be to put in in bait so mice carry it into the wild.

Would be incredible...but seems a little far fetched. Also, tweaking the ecosystem is never without consequence somewhere else.

If nothing else perhaps the antibiotic can be used when Lyme is identified early in human patients.

JeffGu

Been here a while
Every living thing on the planet is hell bent on disrupting ecosystems, it's not a uniquely human attribute. We happen to do it for blatantly self-serving reasons that only rarely consider anything other than our own comfort and convenience.

Wiping out Lyme Disease would be a bonus not just to humans, but a lot of other animals. I can only assume they would carefully consider the impact before implementing such a program, but I would think that some risk would be acceptable. It's a miserable disease. One of my sons and his entire family were infected on a camping trip a few years ago, so I'm rather biased.

I say, kill the little bacterium bastards.

rico

Been here a while
They already have plenty of antibiotics that kill lyme. The problem is the Lyme bacteria is very smart and the spirochaetes can simply go into a cystic form which protects them from almost all antibiotics. They wait until the coast is clear and go about their business of fucking your life up when it is safe for them to do so...

We won’t talk about the fact that a bunch of know it all scientists think it’s a good idea to release this "new' antibiotic into nature...An unbelievably ignorant maneuver that would undoubtedly have unforeseen and disastrous results.

Last edited:

ATH

Been here a while
Every living thing on the planet is hell bent on disrupting ecosystems, it's not a uniquely human attribute. We happen to do it for blatantly self-serving reasons that only rarely consider anything other than our own comfort and convenience.

Many species do it (on smaller scales) for for their self-serving reasons.
Ant's farming aphids.
Blue-green algae and fungus coming in partnership to form lichen.
Walnut producing juglone
etc...

evo

Been here a while

A team from Northeastern University have identified an antibiotic that is "harmless" to mammals, is effective against very few other bacteria, and is "resistance proof". Proposal would be to put in in bait so mice carry it into the wild.

Would be incredible...but seems a little far fetched. Also, tweaking the ecosystem is never without consequence somewhere else.

If nothing else perhaps the antibiotic can be used when Lyme is identified early in human patients.
Agreed…. Great on paper. But if it’s so safe to use on animals why not people?

Reactions: ATH

ATH

Been here a while
Agreed…. Great on paper. But if it’s so safe to use on animals why not people?
Sounds like that is a next step in research. I'd try hard to get in on a trial if I knew I had been exposed to Lyme.

ATH

Been here a while
There is a new vaccine in the works too, for people..
I got the LYMErix one in 1999 or so...but I don't think that does me much good now. It was supposed to have a periodic booster.

Last edited:

Gorman

Branched out member
I came down with Lyme real bad this summer. The walk ins thought I had heat exhaustion and sent me home. Weeks later I got tested and got better after meds. It was brutal. Like a never ending hangover.

• Sad
Reactions: ATH

Gorman

Branched out member
How the hell am I supposed to know if I've got it, then?

My symptoms started during the last week of June at the start of a two week long heat wave. After it cooled down symptoms persisted.
You’ll know, if you feel miserable get checked. Aches in the joints and head, fatigue, all around miserable feeling.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom