English or Black Walnut?

Marshy

I had a guy bring me two logs for milling and we split the lumber. He thought it was Black Walnut but it didnt have the rich dark heart wood you expect from a BW. I was thinking it might be an English Walnut. We dont see too many EW in out area but there is plenty of BW. Bark is more silver and furrows are not as deep and regularly arranged as I would expect BW to be. I'm located in Central NY.

Attachments

• 20201018_115844.jpg
    20201018_115844.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19

oldoakman

I would expect butternut lumber to be a little more cinnamon in color. Maybe English/Carpathian. Bark is not telling my that for sure though.

Reach

The bark looks like English Walnuts around here, but I would expect there to be darker heartwood than what I am seeing.

Njdelaney

Sassafras would be a bit lighter weight than you'd expect from Walnut or Butternut too, and again the smell would be so noticeable and pleasant it would be hard to miss it.

dsptech

I took down seven black walnuts that were planted in a row at the back of a property.
I kept all the wood for firewood for my own use.
A couple of them did not have the darkened heart wood the others had.
Some of the ones with the darkened heart wood only had a small diameter of darker heart wood and the others larger.
They were all around the same sized trees.
I remember wondering why at the time.
Maybe they were not all black walnuts?

Attachments

• BILD5735.JPG
    BILD5735.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20190407_144943.jpg
    20190407_144943.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 10

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom