Elbows and wrists

djm

This year is the first time I have had any work related injuries that are affecting my ability to work. I was diagnosed with cubital tunnel in both elbows and slight carpal tunnel in my right wrist. My left started this year when I injured my shoulder doing overhead squats. I seperated my left shoulder snowboarding 2 years ago. I just had a tunnel release on my left elbow to,release the nerve. There has been some improvement but not much. Now my right elbow and wrist are bugging me. I'm not sure if shoulder injuries to both my shoulders have caused nerve problems. I'm told what ive got is really common work related injuries. I have had a great injury free career. 16 years of tree work i have worked alot of hours and I' m honestly not suprised that its catching up to me. Any one have experience with this stuff? Thanks

niceviews

I've started sleeping with a wrist brace on, and that seems to be the best thng for helping with my early stages of carpal tunnel. I have started having some issues with my elbows, but it comes and goes and hasn't started to be a big issue yet. Bio freeze seems to help temporarily.

Oroboros

I've had good results with myofacial release and craniosacral therapy.
Like all things it depends on the person. I would call around and go see someone that has a moderately long wait time. If they are busy they are usually good.

Also contrast baths work wonders. Fill two sinks. One with HOT water and one with COLD.(ice cubes). Immerse forearms in hot for two minutes. Go to cold for 15-45 seconds. Repeat 3-4 times. Always start with hot and end with cold.
The above gives a massive rinsing effect. The heat engorges the tissue with blood and the cold contracts the tissue squeezing the blood out. Like a soapy sponge.

O

MicrobeTree

Just starting to see some tendon stress in my right wrist this year (I attribute this to suddenly working on conifers primarily instead of eucalyptus) and managing it with temperature therapy (icing it) and otherwise absolutely loving roll and release massage tools for the whole body. Knuckled foam roller, lacrosse balls, and a hooked tool for the shoulders are go to tools for self care.

I popped a tendon about 12 years ago. Had it redone and gave me problems for years. Started taking 10,000 to 15,000 milligrams of vitamin c a day and no more problems. Gotta take it every couple hours to work. And it makes u go number 2 if u have too much so u gotta start slow.
I couldn't even start a chainsaw before I started on the vitamin c cause of carpal tunnel in wrists and elbow tendon.
Www.doctoryourself.com or just look up high doses of vitamin c on YouTube. Super cheap too. I just get whatever isnon sale.
Sounds weird but it works awsome...

chiselbit

Just starting to see some tendon stress in my right wrist this year (I attribute this to suddenly working on conifers primarily instead of eucalyptus) and managing it with temperature therapy (icing it) and otherwise absolutely loving roll and release massage tools for the whole body. Knuckled foam roller, lacrosse balls, and a hooked tool for the shoulders are go to tools for self care.
What is the hooked tool for shoulders?

Merle Nelson

Muscles get tight through repetitive motion and or from injury/stress. At some point the system forgets how to release them - "sensory motor amnesia."

Somatics, by Thomas Hanna is a book that explains the simple method of 'reminding' muscles how to release.

If I do 10 minutes of movements every day I can work as hard as I want each day. If I stop, in about three days or a week I can be in so much pain that I'm unable to work.

MicrobeTree

Loving how this thread is turning to all around self-care.
Few other things that I swear by are;
fish oil (with a good EPA DHA ratio - mine is 750mg EPA to 500mg DHA)
Magnesium and MSM cocktail before bed,
And electrolytes throughout the day. STAY FUCKING HYDRATED
I wear a 2L CamelBak most days - even in the winter. Constantly sucking the Camel teat.

Jonny

I’m floored at how different and better I feel since I started taking a magnesium citrate tablet a few months ago. If anyone of y’all is feeling like you’re not really running at 100% and ain’t sure why, try a mag supplement. Not specifically wrists and elbows, but it is an electrolyte and can help with cramping joints, my hands used to cramp badly from gripping ropes or saws after a while. Biggest impact I’ve noticed was on depression/ mood, energy and motivation. Unless you’re making a point to get enough from your food, I’d recommend the supplement to almost anyone.

kludge

I have found a lot of help from Kelly Starrett's YouTube channel. I found him in my CrossFit days. He is a Dr of physiotherapy and Olympic level athlete. He mostly treats sports injuries, but his stuff is really good for self diagnosis and treatment of muscular and movement junk. His motto is "Humans ought to be able to perform basic maintenance on themselves."

Here is a couple of his videos on wrists.

Last edited:

JakeRiggs

Gratefully I have a sister who is a licensed/certified sports rehab and massage therapist. There are plenty of reasons to have your arms massaged. A lot of built up tension. Buy yourself a hypervolt or a forearm massager on amazon

southsoundtree

I have an ArmAid forearm tool.
Have used it some.
Feeling pretty good lately without anything.

Remember that a lot of the work we do handling material is better suited to grapple machines.

When possible if I have to hold a piece to fit it in a tight spot, cut and chuck, I peel all limbs to vertical before cutting them free, or use two girth-hitched slings and a biner.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom