Echo CS-355T

rfwoodvt

Anything new to report over the last 10 days on this saw Norm?

I used to be a big Echo bucket saw fan until they came out with the 360T. I don't think it was the saw so much as the carbs kept getting the snot beaten outta them by the ethanol.

I've got a couple 200T Stihls but now their carbs are crapping out too.

Would really like to get back to the Echos and this 355T is sounding pretty good.

just_a_tree_guy

i always have used echo and stihl . my echos have always been very reliable . they are not as powerful as my stihls but sometimes you dont always need it . just keep the chain really sharp and it always does the job well !!

Axman

I have never been been impressed with any Echo chainsaw myself because they are underpowered if you compare them to a Sthil. We have a few Echo pieces and I must say they are reliable considering the care they recieve which is almost nill.

This new top handle that has been introduced is Echo's response to the 201 from Sthil. So far all the internet reviews on the saw have been very positive or like Norm has stated impressed.I watched the same vid on the 335 when the first comment was posted on the net. Looks like Echo has done their homework on this one. Echo builds reliable equipment and maybe this new saw is a sleeper that just might give Stihl's top handle model's a run for the money and take away some of the market share from Stihl. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Having a Walbro carb is good news to me. I have never cared for any Zama carb. IMO ever since Stihl stopped using Walbro carbs in favor of Zama carbs their chainsaws have been getting harder to start when cold and are just plain tempermental compared to the older models.

Norm_Hall

[ QUOTE ]
Anything new to report over the last 10 days on this saw Norm?

I used to be a big Echo bucket saw fan until they came out with the 360T. I don't think it was the saw so much as the carbs kept getting the snot beaten outta them by the ethanol.

I've got a couple 200T Stihls but now their carbs are crapping out too.

Would really like to get back to the Echos and this 355T is sounding pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, personally, haven't had a chance to run it since the 1st post. Still on the 4th tank of fuel. Our Echo "Field Operations Supervisor" is demoing this saw the local tree care co's in NE Illinois. We'll get more feedback in a month. Gotta get more saws in the field. This saw will definitely out cut a 360T.

I own a 360T and haven't had any carb issues. I only use 93 octane fuel though.

rfwoodvt

We had a place nearby that sold non-ethanol for the longest time. Then they went to non-ethanol super only.

Would like to say that our carb problems started when we stopped buying there but we've always bought ethanol mix on a regular basis.

Just getting fed up with fighting my carbs. I've replaced 3 this past year alone and am looking at replacing 2 more this weekend.

Biggest problem seems to be the hygroscopic nature of the ethanol causing crystalline corrosion in the jet passages. If we could chase them with a wire like we did on a husky carb then they's be factory good. But we haven't succeeded in doing so.

That said, I did order up a 355t today. Good money spent I hope. Should be in by Tuesday. Will let y'all know what i think after a few tanks full.

Treespotter

The Shindaiwa 358TS is the twin brother of the Echo CS355T.
Two saws that look other than branding and colour similar to me to the last bolt.
There's just one thing that bugs me.
There must be one significant difference. Can anyone tell me what it is because I am very curious what makes the Echo a 2.1 hp machine and the Shindaiwa a 1.9 hp machine.
Is it truly a 0.2 stronger machine or is it a (for us not measurable) marketing stunt to make it on paper a MS200 competitor.

http://www.yamabiko-corp.co.jp/shindaiwa-global/?p=2585

http://www.echo-usa.com/CS-355T/CS355T-brochure

rfwoodvt

Our 355t came in today. Right out of the box seemed to have plenty of power, much more so than the 360T

Still has that familiar echo shape, feel and handle, despite the hype about the redesign.

First thing I'm gonna whine about though is the on/off switch. Very flimsy looking and small tab type switch and only one side wing guard to protect it.

The 360T had wing guards on either side and they were notorious for breaking off. I suspect this will be a weak point on the saw, moreso than it already was on the 360T

I like the fact that the lanyard loop is either open or closed and requires a scrench to change that. However, there is no documentation explaining how but there is an embossed "image" in the saw body. That image though escaped us most of the day. I pretty much figured it out on my own after a bit of huffn' 'n fumblin'

Nice too are the carb adjustment placement. You can see them right at the openings. No feeling around to see if the driver seated properly.

Probably won't climb with it for a few weeks as all we have is ground based work for a while.

Will use it on a couple of pines and maples we're dropping next week and see how it goes.

rfwoodvt

Just a little bump here,

I'd like to tell you that we're having a active love affair with our 355t but that isn't the case. Don't get me wrong, we have grown to love it though we haven't used it much.

Problem now is that the door on our saw box opened up on the truck and the saw is lying on the road somewhere.

So we don't have it any more

However, both my climber and I are definitley missing the saw so I guess that speaks to how much we grew to like and appreciate it.

Can't replace it right now but we will be getting another one.

Treespotter

Hé Guys,
Any real life work floor/tree top updates on the Echo CS-355T?
I just heard the Husqy T540XP is postponed again.

again? do you know til when? im really holding off getting a new saw and wanna hold out to see what the huskys got. cant wait much longer. im down to using my 192 and im so over that

Treespotter

March

That's the whole reason why I want some real world info on the new Echo. My money is NOT going to Stihl!!!

BearMan

Guys,

First of all I know nothing about this new saw but I have used Echo products for over a 30 years and have loved all but one string trimmer..... All of the other products have performed flawlessly. A few years ago theh had a tough time with carbs and EPA restrictions. My current equipment has worked stellar. This said I have had a CS-300 for at least 10 years now and it is AWESOME! Best one handed trimming saw ever..... Under 7lbs and I keep three sharp chains handy all the time. This thing is my goto saw for most tree jobs I do. I have a MS 250 and a Stihl MS 290 that aren't near as reliable. I really don't like the starting procedure for the Stihl. My Echo always fires right up with my choking process. I will have to look at this one in spring when I get new equipment.......

mikegar

Bought one yesterday. Did a mulberry removal today. Ran it when i should have pulled the 261 out, it didnt complain much. When i hold it in one hand and a 200t in the other it feels kinda chinsey.

opposablethumb

My boss recently got a 355T and let me give it its first go in the field over the last several days.

It's a nice saw! Ran pretty aggressive in a storm damaged 14" pin oak lead. Weight and balance and ergonomics all seem pretty good. Starts up like a champ in the cold - you can't beat an Echo for that.

My cons are that the fill holes for gas and bar oil are smaller than usual. Also, I don't know why Echo insists on having two bar nuts on their climbing saws. Maybe it's a safety feature in case one vibrates off? Seems like overkill and an extra step when servicing the saw. Also, as mentioned above, the on/off switch seems like it could be easily broken.

I've been primarily using a Husqvarna T435 for the last year and a half, which I have been pleased with for what it is. The Echo, for not a whole lot more money, is clearly a superior saw. I'm not sure how it compares to the T540 or the new 201T's. My guess is that it doesn't reach as high as those.

But then again, I guess it all depends on what the majority of your work is.

All in all, I'm excited that we have this saw in our lineup, and I expect I'll be reaching for it often. Hopefully, it will hold up well over time.

opposablethumb

One more plug:

Did a fairly large Siberian Elm removal with it yesterday and it performed very nicely. The chain speed and torque on this saw gave a good showing.

I think if more guys gave it a chance, "even thought its an Echo," this saw would gain some credibility.

monkeylove

I just bought the 330T and so far I don't have any complaints. It starts well and cuts fine for what it is. Would I fell a 3 foot tree with it, no. However, I would also not take my bicycle to pick up lumber. Right tool given the job at hand. Could I have bought somebody other than Echo, sure but considering the amount it cost and the amount of dealers in my area it just made sense. I guess if I needed to cut limbs so fast that it looked like rain I may have looked at others. However somebody has to clean that rain up before I can call it a day. My thought has always been that I only need to cut limbs as fast as they can be processed. I guess if I could turn an 8 hour job into 4 that might make sense. However I find it hard to believe that if you added all the actual cut times together for a trim job, that any saw could cut those times in half. I doubt that itcould even make up for that coffee break, or that question the customer had. Just my thoughts as a happy Echo customer.

Frank

treeajnin

is this 355T comparable to husqvarna 338 climbing saw?

i believe the 355 to be about a hundred bucks cheaper.

hoping to get some input on this comparison as the 338 is all ive used and I may buy this saw tomorow morning ;)