E2E brummelling -- possible without unbraiding?

eyehearttrees

I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a proper triple-(or double-)brummelling on the second leg of a lanyard, IE the end whose brummelling requires you to pass an already-brummelled leg of rope through the standing body of rope (step 5 of Samson's great write-up)

I'd figured "Shops must be un-braiding the cordage to get the 2nd end brummelled", until this newest batch of hitches....got 30' of Ice Tail and after a couple hitches I'd run out of my lil plastic thimbles ($0.50 'Lo-Wall' tight eye thimbles), instead of waiting on the new ones to land I went and spliced E2E's from the rest of my cordage thinking "Oh at least I can do proper brummelling w/o the thimbles, and I've never actually tested/used them w/o the thimbles anyway so 'testing' and all" but was surprised to find I still couldn't pass the brummelled rope through itself to make my 2nd side's brummelling :/

I've noticed this before but always had hardware/thimbles and ascribed it to them, now I see I can't brummel at all and have found the 1st Samson instruction I can't figure-out / follow :/ Any help greatly appreciated!

[PS - It'd crossed my mind to actually do the unbraid/rebraid to make the brummellings but the time it'd take me didn't seem worth it, heck I was already contemplating just making this batch with knots instead of splices, @Brocky taught me Re braiding so am pretty sure I could do it, just that it'd double/triple the time it takes me to crank-out a hitch..]

Brocky

Gradually getting the hole big enough, and massaging the opening as it gets bigger. I go through the tubular fids then switch to the Point Hudson fids. I haven’t tried it but putting some throwline through the eye and then through the opening would allow you to pull as well as push it through.
029C68F1-5779-492E-BFE1-D4A8B240E30F.jpeg

dmonn

A locking brummel with one end fixed is what you're trying to do. Not difficult. You do kind of a non-intuitive inversion of the rope. Just follow the directions. It's like magic!

Brocky

A locking brummel with one end fixed is what you're trying to do. Not difficult. You do kind of a non-intuitive inversion of the rope. Just follow the directions. It's like magic!

This is the Mobius method of making a locked brummel, it doesn’t work if trying to splice a ring or snap in the eye, or covered eyes.

Love doing these. I think it has a name?
Ah yea, Grog calls it a McDonald brummel.
That’s the McDonald method of making a Mobius eye splice, put 5-7 of them in a row, with a very short bury, and you have the McDonald brummel splice. The Icetail in my above picture was done this way. It’s as strong as the standard bury splice.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom