E-Sign Documents

Steve Connally

I'm a subcontractor. I have a standard hold harmless and crane rental agreement I have every customer sign on every job. I currently use a 2 part carbonless form. I give the contractor a copy of it and then store pads of signed contracts in the closet for an unknown duration of time. I spend about $75 a year on these pads of numbered and stamped documents. I'm totally happy with them but is this the best application I can be doing. During the COVID I haven't been getting them signed or giving a copy. I'll ask if the contractor agrees then i'll annotate verbal agreement on the document. This means the copy the contractor gets goes in the recycle bin.

What I am thinking about is an e-form I can have on my iPad with drop down menus. I would like to preadd all my customers so when I go to add their company name and business data it's already there. I would also like to have it auto count the invoice numbers. Of course I can type in the signers name and date but i'd need a signature block. I would then like to attach this to my quickbooks invoice so when I email them the invoice, their copy of the contract is a document attachment. This saves paper and prevents another box of junk in my closed I don't know how long to keep. I could simply save this contract to the desktop or home screen and then drag it into QB. I could then delete the contract from whatever storage place I have it so it's not stored in 2 locations.

Adobe is expensive and I don't use it. Google Docs is simple enough to navigate but i'm having a tough time understanding exactly what the add-ons and which ones fit what i'm looking for. Google Docs also has an add drawing feature and a scribble option so I could open that and the customer could sign. Quickbooks has an option to capture a signature on the invoice however I'm not always doing admin on site. I tend to want to get off the job site as soon as I can.

Just wondering who uses what out there and if anybody has some specific advice for me.

Reach

Jobber has a feature that might work, it allows us to require a signature either to approve a “quote” or to require a signature at the end of a “job”. Can’t guarantee it would work for what you do, but it might, as it is designed for the tree industry. You can have all your clients in as customers, and have your contract attached to each quote for your customers to sign. That’s what we do, although we are a traditional tree service, not crane-specific the way you are.

Steve Connally

Jobber has a feature that might work, it allows us to require a signature either to approve a “quote” or to require a signature at the end of a “job”. Can’t guarantee it would work for what you do, but it might, as it is designed for the tree industry. You can have all your clients in as customers, and have your contract attached to each quote for your customers to sign. That’s what we do, although we are a traditional tree service, not crane-specific the way you are.
I appreciate that but I already pay 70 a month for quickbooks and don't want another subscription. I don't give quotes I just show up to work and before I pull on the property the primary contractor needs to sign the hold harmless. Just 1 single document signed on site. Quickbooks has the same feature as well but that creates a ton more work or makes it so I have to create the invoice on site and have it signed before production starts. I would then have to go back in at the end of the job and edit it to put all the charges in. I don't think Arborgold, Jobber, or any of the other programs would be worth paying for since I would use so little of its potential. I just need a singable document. Just 1 LOL

ghostice

Steve,
Acrobat at least used to have the ability to ebed Javascript in a form field enabling you to capture the content of the field if sent to a CGI server for example. We (my company) did this with some extraordinarily complicated forms for incident reporting etc. that sent the data entered into the field(s) back to head office via email. If you know someone in IT its a simple job, if your Internet service provider gives you access to a CGI server as part of your web service. There might be another way to do this now that's simpler - point is that Acrobat forms can be used to capture signatures and data and Acrobat Reader etc. is pretty common/ iPad etc. Maybe? The Acro forms thing has come a long way.
I also used this schema to capture registration data for players in our soccer club back in my soccer/ refereeing days.

evo

I appreciate that but I already pay 70 a month for quickbooks and don't want another subscription. I don't give quotes I just show up to work and before I pull on the property the primary contractor needs to sign the hold harmless. Just 1 single document signed on site. Quickbooks has the same feature as well but that creates a ton more work or makes it so I have to create the invoice on site and have it signed before production starts. I would then have to go back in at the end of the job and edit it to put all the charges in. I don't think Arborgold, Jobber, or any of the other programs would be worth paying for since I would use so little of its potential. I just need a singable document. Just 1 LOL
I ditched qbo for that exact reason. My accountant and cpa hate qbo and are much more fluid in qb desktop. They use a VPN for qb, so I still have my hands in it, and they both pull what they need from jobber.

Reach

Understood, I don’t blame you for not wanting to do all that for what you do. One iPhone app I just found that looks promising is JotForm; it appears to be a free app that is capable of doing what you’re looking for. There’s others too, just do a search for “free document signer” in the App Store and you may find something that will work.

ATH

DocuSign is a service to do just this.

I've used it once or twice...most recently to sign purchase agreement for real estate. It was free for me to sign. Not sure if the agent had to pay anything to use it.

Steve Connally

Thanks everyone. I have looked at docusign $13 a month and its a google add on. I was trying not to have to purchase adobe but I may have to. My accountant and I are happy with QBO and it seems to be working well. I appreciate the input.

stheis004

check out an app called Joist. There's a few levels of options with it, but I think the free one would cover all of your needs. We use the pro version mainly so we can add pictures, but it's been working great for us for the past 2 years. It even syncs with quickbooks

Steve Connally

check out an app called Joist. There's a few levels of options with it, but I think the free one would cover all of your needs. We use the pro version mainly so we can add pictures, but it's been working great for us for the past 2 years. It even syncs with quickbooks
Thanks so much i'll check it out. What syncs with QB?

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom