Dump trailer with platform for a mini....?

Patstorm

I have seen a couple of pictures and different stuff posted around here does anyone have any input on getting a trailer like this or building one?

Also does anyone know if you can load a cab over or a 1 ton dump truck with the landscape bed with folding sides with a mini skid.

Looking for a boxer 532 and a good efficient setup.

TCtreeswinger

Dunno about the trailer except I believe top notch equipment in mn makes them. Also a mt 55 would load over one foot sides on our dodge 5500 but it obviously depends on how box is mounted loading uphill/downhill etc.

Lumberjack

Personally I'm not a fan of the platform dumps, although we (I represent Top Notch Equipment and own Compact Equipment Store.com) sell them and could make a package for the the Boxer and the platform dump trailer.

Hypothetical:
The 14' dump trailer with a 4' platform and a 18' dump trailer are the same overall length.
The 14' trailer has up to 14' for debris.
The 18' trailer has up to 18' for debris.
The 18' trailer loaded with 14' of debris and still carry the mini
The 18' trailer CAN carry more debris than the 14' trailer.
The 14' trailer will never carry more debris than the 18' trailer.

The only advantage the 14' trailer has is you can dump the trailer without unloading the machine.
The 18' has the advantage of carrying bigger loads and could still match the 14' on the last load of the day/job to carry the mini.

How tall are the sides on the bed from the ground?

Have you considered the Avant? The biggest downside for me is the Avant currently can't fit through a 36" gate, but for me, that's not a big deal and we (my climber) have a 532 as well. The 420 Avant has a 3' higher lift height than the 532.

climbhightree

I don't think any mini skid will load a dump body truck (over the sides). You can load pallets etc into the back though. The other option that may let you dump over the sides is a high dump bucket (but they are hard to find for mini).

So Avant is the only one with that capability...but you gain size with them too.

Here is a thread with all the different mini specs (and avant), so you can measure your vehicle to see which would work.

http://treebuzz.com/forum/index.php?threads/29479/

Last edited:

climbhightree

As to the dump trailer question, I tend to agree with lumberjack. But if you have a full 18', your going to tend to use all of it with debris...and then have no room for mini. So with the 14', plus platform, you know you can always get the mini on.

Or you do what I did, and put the platform on the truck.

Lumberjack

I'm going to be working on see what will be required to get an Avant under 36". In my area, I'm fine with 41", but I also have access to a 532DX, but it's rare we require it.

Lumberjack

If you fill the 18' trailer with debris, it is true you can't haul the mini. However, with a 14' trailer and the platform, you'll be making a second trip for debris since you can't fit 18' of material in 14'.

climbhightree

If you fill the 18' trailer with debris, it is true you can't haul the mini. However, with a 14' trailer and the platform, you'll be making a second trip for debris since you can't fit 18' of material in 14'.
Depends on the debris
Take stump grindings, it will often go out as much as it goes up till it is contained by something. So though you may only need 14x4x6 of area...it is not going to stay in it allowing you to load mini in last 4'. Also you would need more than 4' to load mini cause you are not side loading.

Plus on second trip, you can fill the while 1 4x4 again...and still have room.

Really comes down to personal preference. I just take comfort in knowing that no matter what , I always have room for the mini.

Menchhofer

Dump trailer with platform also works when transporting grinder or even spider lift while maintaining a spot for the mini. Makes unloading mini unnecessary.

ROYCE

You have the back of the truck you can load as well. It's easier to load the back of the truck with debris or wood than it is to load the mini in the truck. I like the idea of a 14' dump with a separate spot for the mini. Have that trailer pulled by a 1 ton dump. Go to the job with a truck and chipper, and 1 ton with trailer and mini. You can then chip all your brush and then load wood into chip truck, one ton dump truck and dump trailer and you still have a spot for a mini. Just my 2 cents. This is the way I am trying to go.
Now, if your looking to only go with one truck then I would mount the mini behind the cab

Lumberjack

You have the back of the truck you can load as well. It's easier to load the back of the truck with debris or wood than it is to load the mini in the truck. I like the idea of a 14' dump with a separate spot for the mini. Have that trailer pulled by a 1 ton dump. Go to the job with a truck and chipper, and 1 ton with trailer and mini. You can then chip all your brush and then load wood into chip truck, one ton dump truck and dump trailer and you still have a spot for a mini. Just my 2 cents. This is the way I am trying to go.
Now, if your looking to only go with one truck then I would mount the mini behind the cab

And that's why we sell them! My personal preferences aren't the same as everyone's!

ROYCE

Dave, you carry those trailers? They are really hard to find. I am looking for a hybrid dump trailer with a spot for my mini and a log loader mounted as well.

Lumberjack

I know, thats why you keep plugging that stupid AVANT in every post!!!:)

Haha or making up for two years of showing them no love with my sales work! I'll be keeping one for my tree company, an impressive little creature than I looked down on for quite a while. Dave was right!

I don't get the dump, mini platform, and log loader either, but if that's what you want then by all means! I would think that trailer new with a loader would be over $30k without issue. Payload with a mini on board would only be 7-8klbs I'm betting. 4500lbs for the trailer, 1500lbs for the loader, 2500lbs for a mid sized mini and grapple with 2lb of pin weight and 14klb axles. Also that much weight up front will make it tongue heavy probably requiring the axles be moved forward. Then dumping without the mini will be lifting on the back of the truck... Maybe, or it could be the best thing ever!

ROYCE

So if you have the mini all the time, why the log lift? Just curious

Speed up the loading process at the end of the day. Plus, it would be more efficient to load it into the back of a truck. You could stack it better. Also, some logs would be nice to leave long and sell to a mill. Also, I could park the log trailer next to the chipper and feed the chipper with it. Mini brings the brush over and just drops it, and goes and gets more brush. The loaf loader would feed chipper and then load logs as needed. Atleast this is the way I am leaning towards.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom