Dump bed questions

B_Strange

Hi folks. I posted awhile back about a dump trailer and using my 1/2 ton Tundra. Well @Joeybagodonuts and everyone else who said to be careful with the tranny was right. Even taking small loads and being careful the tranny gave up the ghost.

So I found a truck in MT, 2010 Dodge 3500 manual 4WD flatbed with a new 6.7l Cummins in it. Dealer wants 13k.

This truck will up efficiency for sure. Anyone added a chip body to a one ton?

Reach

Hi folks. I posted awhile back about a dump trailer and using my 1/2 ton Tundra. Well @Joeybagodonuts and everyone else who said to be careful with the tranny was right. Even taking small loads and being careful the tranny gave up the ghost.

So I found a truck in MT, 2010 Dodge 3500 manual 4WD flatbed with a new 6.7l Cummins in it. Dealer wants 13k.

This truck will up efficiency for sure. Anyone added a chip body to a one ton?
There’s a couple guys around here who have, and they look very dangerous going down the road. We have an F350 with a flatbed dump, and would not consider more than about a 6’ chip box, anything more would be far too heavy. 5-8 yards of chips is the most you would be able to haul legally, and that’s probably with an aluminum bed.

Z'sTrees

Dually no problem. Wouldn't be great on a single wheel.
My old f350 has an arbortech box with the I-pack toolbox. Heavy empty, just shy of 10k with the toolboxes and fuel tanks full and a driver, nothing in the bed. So I'd wager 14-15k full of hardwood chips. Add a 6k+lb chipper and your at or above gcvwr of 20k. Ideal, no. But it does it okay every day and has been for 23 years and almost 200k miles.
The newer crop of one tons are leaps ahead as far as power and brakes go.
That being said a class 4 or 5 truck is gonna be pretty similar while having alot more payload

B_Strange

Thanks folks. I hear you about payload and being safe. The truck is a dually. Can’t swing a loan for a bigger truck now. So need to pay this one off and then move up.

Just wanted to see if it’s possible. Thanks!

Fivepoints

Get a 550 sized truck if you can. A 1 ton runs out of weight capacity very quickly. Remember chips weigh around 550 lbs per yard. If your like most tree guys, you'll end up stuffing logs in it at some point. Both sizes of trucks cost about the same to fuel, insure, and tag. They can both be driven with a regular drivers license as long as you aren't towing a 10,001 lb or heavier trailer. The 550 size truck can carry around 8k payload. The 350 is going to be around 4k to 5k.

We have a f550 with a 12 ft bed that is a chip box with a removable top. Its been great for hauling logs and chipping into. Carries a lot of gear and saws. It goes to just about every job. Its usually towing our chipper or mini skid. It normally comes back with full load towing whatever is hooked to it that day.

B_Strange

Thanks @Fivepoints. I wanted to get a 5500 sized truck but can’t find one I can afford right now. My goal is to move into one of those trucks but this one ton is the only thing g I found in my price range. Thanks for the input!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom