Dumb question about rigging rings/slings

Christrees

I personally will be getting double braid to use with rigging rings slings for private jobs. But at work my boss uses 3 strand rope.

How well does 3 strand work with ring slings? I want to be able to use them at work to. I just feel 3 strand may be more abusive to the rings? I could be wrong. I'm just starting to use them. I know this is probably sub a dumb question but Everything I was taught was old school.

All I use is the tree itself and 3 strand 1/2 inch or 3/4 to rig everything down. But I want to get into this modern day shit. I see so many use's for rigging ring slings.

But yeah my boss is old school and won't change his ways at all he close to the end of his career. And I want to show him the benefits of all this modern day rigging gear.

Jehinten

Just spitballing, but there's a chance for quicker wear with 3 strand due to the rougher texture and if they've been natural crotches their whole lives they are probably full of dirt as well. In addition 3 strand offers less friction due to the braid, I believe this is why it holds up to natural crotch so well. This could be good or bad depending on your rigging situation.

Buy him a hank of true blue, he won't miss that 3 strand. Still has nice stretch and can be natural crotch, rings or block. Has a really nice hand too.

Christrees

Just spitballing, but there's a chance for quicker wear with 3 strand due to the rougher texture and if they've been natural crotches their whole lives they are probably full of dirt as well. In addition 3 strand offers less friction due to the braid, I believe this is why it holds up to natural crotch so well. This could be good or bad depending on your rigging situation.

Buy him a hank of true blue, he won't miss that 3 strand. Still has nice stretch and can be natural crotch, rings or block. Has a really nice hand too.
Alright thanks..great advice. I was thinking the same thing about the wear.

Christrees

OK thanks guys. I wasn't sure but I'll take your advice. I will also grab some true blue when I can I planned on it anyway. Just don't have the extra 200 right now. I'm getting the free hitch climber kit from sherill spending 400. Good deal just needed some hitch cords and a few other odds n ends.

southsoundtree

Edited a couple posts below:

Stretchy ropes will store energy, and also lose tension once stretched, more than less stretchy ropes.

Last edited:

Jehinten

I got 67ft of it in a bag o rope, pretty stretchy for rigging, but other than that its the bees knees
Much like friction in a rigging system, stretch can be good or bad depending on the situation and how you use it. Stretch, as mentioned above adds energy absorption to aid in smooth rigging and can be preloaded when pulling to help continue pulling well after the winch has been shut off.

KevinS

Over rope build it’s more important to look at what it’s made of. It’s swl, mbs, heat rating, bend radius, stretch, splice we assume would be properly done for each. The properties of each rope type will be more important than hollow braid, stable braid, double braid, 3 strand, 12 strand, 16 strand, etc.

Just look at your local hardware store at you 3/8” yellow poly vs nylon etc.

Now that said if your rope type is the same then your rope build will come into play and become a factor.

Another thing to consider is that your slings should have a higher swl than you rigging line to account for splices , hitches, knots, vectors, etc.
Imo

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom