Dueling chainsaws

Hosocat

Ok. I did a quick search and didn't see this topic, but forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseam.

Stihl 194 or echo 2511?

Jonny

Been here a while
Different class saws really, 32cc vs 25cc, there’s good reason to own both, depending on the work you usually do.
The Stihl MS150T is closer to the 2511.

If I could only have one, I’m taking the 194. I got an older 192, and I use it more than the 200 now. I’d probably love a little 2511 or ms150 but for now 32cc is as small as I got.

oldoakman

Been here a while
I have the 192 and the 193 both with screens pulled out of the mufflers. They do everything I need them to do. I run 16" bars on both. I have always had bad luck with anything Echo so for that reason you can't give me one unless I need an anchor for a boat.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
I have a 192 and a 2511. I removed spark arrestor screen from each which is a noticeable mod on a small saw, and I love both. 2511 is so small and light with 12" bar and 1/4 pitch chain. The 192 is a great saw with a 14" bar and 3/8 picco. Can't say that they are a direct comparison though. If I'm piecing something small up on the ground the 192 gets the call, or if you know you're going to be cutting stuff aloft that's mostly bigger than 10". Smaller stuff the 2511 gets the call. I have no brand loyalty and use Stihl, Husky and Echo. Each makes particular saws that are great IMO.

Last edited:

Crimsonking

Carpal tunnel level member
I have the 192 and the 193 both with screens pulled out of the mufflers. They do everything I need them to do. I run 16" bars on both. I have always had bad luck with anything Echo so for that reason you can't give me one unless I need an anchor for a boat.
Too much plastic to be a good anchor. I’ve had the same trouble with using an echo top handle as a wheel chock.

Roger_Barnett

Participating member

I've had three 192T's. Gutless until I open up the muffler, which is an easy task. I like the light weight and low price. I've bought all three used. One was stolen, the second is now no longer a consistent runner, which is to be expected, as they're not pro saws, so only rated at 100 hours vs 400 for the 200/201 saws. I'd get a 150 or 2511 and have either woods ported, but I'm 71 and wanting to work less. Retiring totally seems unlikely as clients keep calling, and other arb buds want my help.. they do kinda like that I know my stuff, after 46 years in da trees!!

oldoakman

Been here a while
I've had three 192T's. Gutless until I open up the muffler, which is an easy task. I like the light weight and low price. I've bought all three used. One was stolen, the second is now no longer a consistent runner, which is to be expected, as they're not pro saws, so only rated at 100 hours vs 400 for the 200/201 saws. I'd get a 150 or 2511 and have either woods ported, but I'm 71 and wanting to work less. Retiring totally seems unlikely as clients keep calling, and other arb buds want my help.. they do kinda like that I know my stuff, after 46 years in da trees!!
I am the same way and only a few years behind you but while I can still do it I will.

metaspencer

Like someone else mentioned: I run both and think they complement each other well. Dropped the Stihl out of a tree this week and was glad it wasn't the Echo, as the saw survived

Birdyman88

Branched out member
I have both. I love the 2511, but as a pruning saw. I would never attempt a takedown with it. I have done takedowns with a 193, 16" .050" bar, and 63PS3 full chisel chain.

As for the 194, here's an option for you if your saw cam with the .043 gauge narrow kerf bar and 61PMM3 semi chain. Use the 61PMM3 for pruning, and get a loop of some Archer .043 gauge FULL CHISEL non-safety for aggressive cutting. I have been running a loop of the Archer for a while on my 193 and the cut times are half of the 61PMM3 semi. Both run on the same narrow kerf bar.

Njdelaney

Branched out member
I have both. I love the 2511, but as a pruning saw. I would never attempt a takedown with it. I have done takedowns with a 193, 16" .050" bar, and 63PS3 full chisel chain.

As for the 194, here's an option for you if your saw cam with the .043 gauge narrow kerf bar and 61PMM3 semi chain. Use the 61PMM3 for pruning, and get a loop of some Archer .043 gauge FULL CHISEL non-safety for aggressive cutting. I have been running a loop of the Archer for a while on my 193 and the cut times are half of the 61PMM3 semi. Both run on the same narrow kerf bar.
Do you have a model # for that Archer non-safety chain?

Birdyman88

Branched out member
Forget the picture, as it shows .050 gauge. They sent the correct .043 gauge as it lists in description.

Birdyman88

Branched out member
I was at my dealer today and saw they had an Archer chain. This was the narrow kerf semi chisel being sub'd for a Stihl which is on back order. Thought it was interesting.

1116201109.jpg

Njdelaney

Branched out member
Forget the picture, as it shows .050 gauge. They sent the correct .043 gauge as it lists in description.

I bought some for my 192 and it definitely cuts faster. The saw tends to chatter a touch with this chain but I'm guessing a metal dawg may fix that or just being more intentional about using the stock plastic one. Not enough of a problem to think long about, thanks for the info on this chain!

Birdyman88

Branched out member
Just an update on the Archer chain. I've been running a loop of the Archer full chisel non-safety on the stock 193T 14" .043 bar. This stuff is holding up very, very well. I have been running the 193T as a light ground saw this year. I've rarely have to sharpen this stuff. When I do, it's usually me just being anal. For example, I am doing a cleanout at a local cemetery this week. As of today, I have worked on 14 trees and generated 14 trailer loads of brush and I have not sharpened ... since March. ;) I mention this now because I think I finally need to give it light sharpening.

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom