Donaghys Cougar Splice

Anybody tried splicing this rope?? I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to splicing but I have a pretty firm grasp of double braid at this point.

However, Donaghy's Cougar has me at my wits end. I have a new 150' length that I want to put a tight eye into but I can't seem to get the final bury. It's driving me absolutely crazy and I've torn some good chunks of skin off my hands. I've given up twice and restarted another splice, each one with the same result...the braid seems VERY tight, but it almost seems like there's not enough slack to even achieve the final bury. Maybe my throat is too long??

I used a standard Double Braid, with a 5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5 taper on the cover. I usually only pull out 6 pairs on a 24 strand but after having so much trouble with the first splice I decided to pull out an extra 2 to try and give some leeway.

Any suggestions or comments will help. Thanks!!

TreeLogic

Curious to see the responses on this too. I have a new 150' hank that I might put an eye in. Would've thought it was just standard double braid as well.

So I decided to try to finish the bury this evening by using a prussik to pull all the slack i could down to the splice. Then I set up a 5 to 1, tied to a piece of throw line which was in turn tied to the eye of the splice. The prussik used to pull all the slack down was also incorporated into the 5 to 1 so I could milk as much slack as I could down to the splice with very little effort. Then when the prussik wouldn't go past all the bunched up slack, I could put all my weight into my 5 to 1 and try to pull the cover over the eye and bury the splice. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but suffice it to say that I set up a whack load of mechanical advantage to try to finish this splice. It seemed to work and I managed to get a couple more millimetres buried...then the beam in my basement that the whole system was anchored to gave out! :O My wife thinks I'm gonna destroy our house trying to get this thing spliced! I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if this rope is really super tough to splice.

So on my third try I finished a splice. The key to being able to get the final bury was in the taper of the core. I noticed that in the first two, the taper had a bit of an abrupt end so the bunched up cover had trouble "jumping" over the "lip" formed by this poor taper. As soon as I took the time to put in a proper, gradual taper, (which I know I should be doing anyway since an abrupt taper weakens the splice), the final bury became possible. Not easy, but possible. I still had to attach a prussik to just below the throat and jump on it with all my weight repeatedly to achieve that final bury. But alas, I have a completed splice. Pictures to come.

TreeLogic

Looks good Chris. I talked with someone who splices on daily basis and sells his work. He said there were some batches of Cougar that were nearly impossible, but the majority of which should splice like a normal double braid.

Worthaug

It's about knowing Cougar is going to be challenging and taking all the neccesary steps to make it simpler. First, I would advise using 7/16" fid measurements for this splice, then a long even taper on the core tail for the crossover bury, and lastly lubricate the core for the final bury (dish soap or veggie based aerosol lube). It'll go, I've spliced it slightly (10 climbs maybe) used before that was a bear!

Worthaug

I want to add that I use a solid anchor like a tree or my truck for the marlinspike end and attach the future eye to my saddle via a carabiner and use my entire body weight to send her home. One more tip, a quick lockstitch sewn through the point where the crossover is will keep the buried tapered cover tail from bunching up which can cause the final bury to become difficult.

Might seem a bit agricultural but i sometimes stand on the splice and rotate back an forth.... this seems to loosen the tight cover up a little when trying to milk the cover over at the end. on a clear surface of course.

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
So on my third try I finished a splice. The key to being able to get the final bury was in the taper of the core. I noticed that in the first two, the taper had a bit of an abrupt end so the bunched up cover had trouble "jumping" over the "lip" formed by this poor taper. As soon as I took the time to put in a proper, gradual taper, (which I know I should be doing anyway since an abrupt taper weakens the splice), the final bury became possible. Not easy, but possible. I still had to attach a prussik to just below the throat and jump on it with all my weight repeatedly to achieve that final bury. But alas, I have a completed splice. Pictures to come.
Nice job, Chris! I don't splice rope at all, yet, but I'm coming to the realization that it seems to be almost an entirely separate discipline from climbing and rigging. It involves so much specialized knowledge, it is nearly astounding. The fact that we like to climb and rig is what provides the motivation or the reason for the splicing in the first place.

The guys who do splicing just seem really tough minded and tenacious to me, as a general rule.

Congratulations!

Tim

Dave Rohach

The most important things that you have to remember
1) Follow the proper instructions to the specific rope.
2) Patience!
3) Patience!
4) Patience!
Oh yea, 4 things to remember.Sorry.

Dave6390 in WI

TimberSmith

It's about knowing Cougar is going to be challenging and taking all the neccesary steps to make it simpler. First, I would advise using 7/16" fid measurements for this splice, then a long even taper on the core tail for the crossover bury, and lastly lubricate the core for the final bury (dish soap or veggie based aerosol lube). It'll go, I've spliced it slightly (10 climbs maybe) used before that was a bear!
Just to clarify Worthaug what is the taper pattern you would use here? Thanks. I've spliced cougar once before and compared to an in shop splice I compared mine to it was still too bulky and unyielding.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Just to clarify Worthaug what is the taper pattern you would use here? Thanks. I've spliced cougar once before and compared to an in shop splice I compared mine to it was still too bulky and unyielding.
Not sure the last time Reed was on here. If you FB I can point you to him. Cougar still exists?

JTree

Not sure the last time Reed was on here. If you FB I can point you to him. Cougar still exists?
It's a shame ole wort isn't hanging out here anymore. Good dude. He's the reason I keep dawn in my splice kit.

Cougar still exists but most vendors don't carry it. Too inconsistent. Which is a shame because a good hank of cougar is a beautiful thing.

TimberSmith

I did find a recommendation for a taper at 44544 and I am happy with the result.

I friend purchased it here in Australia from a local retailer. He was in need of a new claiming line asap after learning the hard way not to use the chipper hopper for storage.

I know there are two different types of cougar blue sold a CE certified one which is slightly thicker and the original which people seem to prefer.

Attachments