Does my blue spruce have Rhizosphaera?

lightingbolt

I am not 100% sure if my blue spruce has Rhizosphaera or some other type of disease. As you will see in the pictures it has lost needles in a particular area. What is interesting is this area is lighted by an outside LED light (as shown in the picture). Could maybe my LED light being cause this? I thought it was so i turned the LED away for a few weeks but no improvement it seems. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

JD3000

Most well-known member
That's still in very good shape but it is entirely possible if you have declining spruces nearby in the neighborhood.

Did you notice needles turning purple in that thin area?

In any event, you'll get some miles out of that tree but I personally wouldn't recommend a lifetime of fungicide applications unless the tree holds significant sentimental value.

Reactions: ATH

lightingbolt

That's still in very good shape but it is entirely possible if you have declining spruces nearby in the neighborhood.

Did you notice needles turning purple in that thin area?

In any event, you'll get some miles out of that tree but I personally wouldn't recommend a lifetime of fungicide applications unless the tree holds significant sentimental value.
thank you. I didn’t notice any needles turning purple.However, I haven’t been monitoring the tree as we purchased the house few months ago. We live in northeast Ohio, if that matters.. upon further review today I noticed some fungus on it, see attached picture please. I also attached a closer view of the needles? Any help on this? What do you or anyone suggest I do? Any particular spray/product?

Attachments

JD3000

Most well-known member
Pruning at ankle height...

It would be a lifetime of spraying fungicides every spring and possibly during wet weather in summer and fall as the infection period can resume. I don't recommend treatments though you will find some who do.

ATH

Pruning at ankle height...

It would be a lifetime of spraying fungicides every spring and possibly during wet weather in summer and fall as the infection period can resume. I don't recommend treatments though you will find some who do.
Agreed. I treat trees for clients, but try to talk them out of it - explaining it is a never ending cycle. Some just aren't willing to give up what they have especially when it provides a privacy screen, so I help. If they have room adjacent to the trees, I talk about planting a new row of something better fit to the site.