Does anyone use bulk 2-stroke oil?

Gareth's Tree

Does anyone buy 2-stroke oil in a 5 gallon pail or something similar. If so what do you use to measure it out for your saws?

Reach

We do, we buy 5 gallon pails of oil, and mix 50 gallons of fuel at a time, in a drum with a pump on top to fill the fuel cans that go in the shop. We measure it with a 1 quart measuring container from Tractor Supply. It’s made for measuring pesticides, but it works just as well for oil.

Barc Buster

dsptech

We do, we buy 5 gallon pails of oil, and mix 50 gallons of fuel at a time, in a drum with a pump on top to fill the fuel cans that go in the shop. We measure it with a 1 quart measuring container from Tractor Supply. It’s made for measuring pesticides, but it works just as well for oil.
I've been thinking about this every time I buy 2 cycle oil.
Where does one buy a 5 gal pal from?
Is it good oil?

Reach

I've been thinking about this every time I buy 2 cycle oil.
Where does one buy a 5 gal pal from?
Is it good oil?
We buy the full synthetic Stihl oil(Silver bottle, not orange), from our local Stihl dealer. I believe it’s good oil, sure seems to be to us! We also mix it with ethanol free 90 octane fuel, which makes all the little engines so much happier.

dsptech

We buy the full synthetic Stihl oil(Silver bottle, not orange), from our local Stihl dealer. I believe it’s good oil, sure seems to be to us! We also mix it with ethanol free 90 octane fuel, which makes all the little engines so much happier.
I've been ethanol free for a while now in all my outdoor equipment.
Pulling and cleaning carbs got tiring.
Can you get this stuff in a 5 gal pal?

Reach

I've been ethanol free for a while now in all my outdoor equipment.
Pulling and cleaning carbs got tiring.
Can you get this stuff in a 5 gal pal?
Yes, that’s how we buy it. Stihl sells all their oil in the little premeasured bottles, and also in gallon jugs, five gallon pails, and 55 gallon drums.

Raven

What's the shelf life for 2 cycle oil? Unmixed

I met a crew that bought a 55 gal drum ten years ago they're still using it but saws are mysteriously burning up. The gas they mix with is fresh but the oil is 10 yrs old!

Reach

What's the shelf life for 2 cycle oil? Unmixed

I met a crew that bought a 55 gal drum ten years ago they're still using it but saws are mysteriously burning up. The gas they mix with is fresh but the oil is 10 yrs old!
Oil lasts a long time, but ten years? I don’t know about that. Some of the older two cycle oils had naphtha or other solvents in them for some reason - maybe some new ones do too, I’m not sure. Those would evaporate for sure over ten years, perhaps that makes a difference? Or maybe the guy measuring the oil needs new glasses?