Do chainsaw chaps work?

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some chaps will stop a chainsaw, others may not.
I was at a demo several years ago where chaps were being demo'd.

A set of older "Forestry" chaps in good condition were tested. They were attached to a log, similar to the video above. The intent was to show that they would stop the chain. They failed to stop the chain, before severely cutting into the wood. The saw was medium size & at full power.
They were undoubtedly better than no chaps.

Another set of new "Arborwear" chaps was "donated". These allowed the saw to travel down toward the ankle, but did stop the chain before cutting into the wood.

treesap

now I want to see a test: Chaps vs pants, and how the pants (more fiber to stop chain, and wrapping all the way around the log to hold it better) stops the chain compared to chaps

Crimsonking

Chainsaw protective is not chainsaw proof. Read the manual. Ask the manufacturer questions. Research the testing process and different standards. Or just read the manual.

Thankfully I’ve never hit my chaps or pants, and that’s the goal. PPE is the last line of defense in the hierarchy of controls. (Google that term.) It is the last line because it is the least effective. Bottom line- if you’re depending solely on PPE to protect you instead of using it as a supplement to skill and other controls, you’re doing it wrong.

I know this is written bluntly. It’s not meant to be harsh or combative. It’s great to ask the question and explore the topic, as there is great misunderstanding around PPE in general. Misunderstanding and false security are hazards themselves.

treej

Chainsaw protective is not chainsaw proof. Read the manual. Ask the manufacturer questions. Research the testing process and different standards. Or just read the manual.

Thankfully I’ve never hit my chaps or pants, and that’s the goal. PPE is the last line of defense in the hierarchy of controls. (Google that term.) It is the last line because it is the least effective. Bottom line- if you’re depending solely on PPE to protect you instead of using it as a supplement to skill and other controls, you’re doing it wrong.

I know this is written bluntly. It’s not meant to be harsh or combative. It’s great to ask the question and explore the topic, as there is great misunderstanding around PPE in general. Misunderstanding and false security are hazards themselves.
I appreciate the correct terminology, I lack that at times I suppose. I agree PPE is not supplemental to skills and proper training, and protection is not the same as proof. We retired this pair of chaps and thought it would be interesting to see what would happen, none of us had prior to this thankfully. Thanks for taking the time to watch and your feedback.

Crimsonking

Testing them is fun. Thanks for videoing the process and sharing. Did you notice how far the chaps shifted upon contact? The founder of Clogger is quite vocal about proper fit of saw protection because fit determines effectiveness. At some point most of us have thrown on a pair without adjustment or even knowing they have missing buckles. Even slight contact with loose chaps can pull a spinning chain into the leg. Your video did a great job demonstrating this. The chap leg was strapped tightly to the log and still moved quite a bit. Use the other leg if it’s not wrecked yet and strap it loosely. That would be awesome to see!

A lady on my crew a couple years ago was way too small for any of our chaps, so we had custom pants made by clogger, which is a service they offer inspired by this topic. Their chaps fit better than any I’ve seen, as well. And they’re durable. A company I contract for now has everyone wearing them all day. The extra straps make for a better fit, and the construction is super light for less discomfort.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom