DMM XSRE on hitch?

Arborspective

So i was playing around in the canopy waiting on some things from the ground and while doing so i was looking at my hitch (VT), and was looking at the legs and was thinking hmm wonder what would happen if i capture the legs together with a dmm xsre mini. So i did and it kept my hitch oriented to perfection and did not effect my ascent or on descending at all. Actually felt like my hitch set faster when running it. I came to the ground and took a couple pictures of the xsre on my climb line and lanyard for 2 examples. My question is do you see anything wrong with doing this, any safety concerns, any reason to not do it? Or does this seem like something that is perfectlyfine and can possibly be a fix for tidying up a hitch?

Attachments

• 20210120_180545.jpg
    20210120_180545.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • 20210120_180637.jpg
    20210120_180637.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210120_180723.jpg
    20210120_180723.jpg
    934 KB · Views: 119

Arborspective

Looks safe to me. I'd probably spend more time playing with hitches though. there are better cleaner variations of knots, no xsre needed.
Agreed 100% it was just a situational thing at that time and place i tried it out on a "VT" that is 32" long where i am used to a 30" hitch for that same particular knot. The 2 extra inches on the hitch made for sloppy long legs and the xsre did cure that. I have a hard time straying away from the "VT" because of it ease to ascend and descend. After enough weight of rope is under the hitch it will self tend and i havent found another hitch that will do the same. Open for advice always.

Brocky

The VT is very sensitive to how long the legs are after the last braid/crossover. Others have used rings and rubber grommets to hold the legs together, I like using a strip of Velcro, sold to keep wires and cables tidy. I can squeeze the legs at at any point to hold the tension in the hitch.
Here is another way to tie the 4-2 VT with just a piece of cord. A recommendation for the Michoacán is on the bottom.
FBF92CF4-A003-46D5-9141-DE2826C41B8F.jpeg

rico

You can also twist the legs of the hitch to change how it grabs. Each eye separately rotated 180-360 can make a hitch much better performing
Spot on with this Sean..This is how you do the day to day fine tuning of your hitch....

Arborspective

Looks safe to me. I'd probably spend more time playing with hitches though. there are better cleaner variations of knots, no xsre needed.
You are right and normally i run the zigzag so no need for much hitch thaught there but when running hitch chord i still have yet to find the perfect combo for hitch chord to rope to knot. I run a few different lines; tachyon ash, blue moon, notch dragon, teufelberger fly, and hawkeye for natural crotching. The "vt" runs the smoothest on all lines i mentioned but does slip alot and thats with a 4:3 VT. Other hitches seem to bite a little to hard and makes advancing more difficult than it needs to be. Maybe im just to picky. Any advice?

Arborspective

michoacan is the best hitch for me.
28 Armour prus 10 mm under rope wrench and shorty tether with 11 to 12 mm arb lines works very well.
I can stimulate everything you just mentioned except the shorty teather i do not have. What added benifit do you get running the shorty under your RW?

Arborspective

You can also twist the legs of the hitch to change how it grabs. Each eye separately rotated 180-360 can make a hitch much better performing
Ive never seen or herd of anyone twisting the legs at the end of the hitch? Wouldnt that cause your climb line to twist and spin on a descent?

Mowerr

The shorty tether will shorten the overall length of your system so you can get closer to your anchor like when blocking down a spare for example...

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom