DMM Rig V-rig idea. Thoughts and feedback please

Lemonjello

This is something I concocted with the older version zigzag. I haven’t climbed on it like this, heck I’ve only used a v rig once. I’d normally do second system if needed (getting into the right positioning is more positive) feedback and thoughts appreciated. I took a quick video but not sure how to post it. AD917880-A4A4-40E0-9CAA-068DC0DDEF7C.jpeg 86F72D4A-65AA-43FF-848C-5DC5860E6A1C.jpeg 8E7F9E2D-FDD0-45C9-BB46-DB62B6E85944.jpeg

Jonny

Your video needs to be hosted somewhere else (like YouTube or Vimeo) first, then you just link it from here.

I like it! Neat and tidy way to spread your weight out the in the canopy if one of those TIPs is a little questionable. I’d probably just do another system too, but maybe not everyone always has multiple devices and ropes with them.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator

hannasm

I don't see any redundancy in this system so if either one of your anchors would fail, you are probably headed all the way to the ground. It seems to me that you're unlikely to reach extremely high rope angles (ones that would double / triple / or more your line tensions on both anchors) but it is at least in theory possible to get there depending on what you do. The worst thing you could do would be to free-climb super high up, pull your rope super tight with mechanical advantage and then jump off. That could easily break one or both of your TIPs even if they are super strong.

This seems to me like a variation of the 'american death triangle' but since you are not intentionally high-lining you are probably taking on less risk than the textbook representation. The higher up you go the more stress you put on those anchors.

TLDR: You want to make sure your TIPs are both solid and you are aware of the line angle / line tension rules.

Using two separate canopy anchors in an SRT configuration would pretty much give you the same positioning benefits while also having a little redundancy built-in if one anchor failed

A twin rope technique (TRT) configuration would also be an interesting approach to think about when you find yourself want to do something like this, though you undoubtedly will need more gear and more time to set it up.

Lemonjello

Thank you for your input.Good advice on rope angle. The”v” or “M” rig is a solution for work positioning in rare cases and used on occasion at best. I do use a second climb system much more than this method. I don’t see your comparison to the death triangle though. Yes it does matter your rope angles and well aware of force multiplication with respect to the angle between TIPs.

Benjo75

Looks like a good setup. Is that a DMM Revolver? Mine is only double action. I've not owned any others but that particular one only takes two moves to open it. I don't see any way the rope could come out but another line could very easily become trapped in it if it got just right.

hannasm

I don’t see your comparison to the death triangle though.

I see any system wrapped around two anchors and start by comparing it to the death triangle. It's not actually a death triangle, but if there was a taxonomy for rope systems, i would expect these two and others like it end up in the same family.

This V-Rig configuration is different in terms of the force vectors it generates on each anchor, but there are many similarities such as using a single moving rope, the position the climber will be suspended and using two anchors.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Administrator
I never felt as if I need redundancy if my anchors were "bomb-proof". If one or more was questionable, then I would not use the M system or even a redirect, but rather a second system. When I think about how I climb 99%of the time on one rope/system and then incorporate a lanyard, there doesn't seem to be more risk by using the M system.

Good discussion as always!

laddo

This system looks legit. I use a v-rig relatively often while trimming spread out live oaks. I bought that DMM Revolver Rig about a month ago and have found limited use for it other than the occasional MRS redirect (i rarely use actual redirects in MRS because i will use the v-rig or my lanyard/2nd system). I will try this fa sho!! Thanks!

Lemonjello

thanks for all the great feedback and discussion. My initial intention was “ how to do a v rig with the one hole zigzag” I actually used this on Wednesday on a mango removal, Didn’t need to but proof of concept it works great, definitely need friction savers it has way too much friction. The multi sling with revolver lives on my saddle. Great light retrievable saver. for redirect I put the eye thru ring and revolver on other leg (not retrievable, but it’s usually for limb walk so I’m coming back to it.

Lemonjello

Haven’t needed it yet but I can see it being handy for holding position. I usually have a hitch cord on saddle for the occasional “tail second system” thing.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom