diy biochar?

Chaplain242

Biochar is cooked with oxygen starvation (ie set alight and buried etc or cooked in hoppers to exclude air) - so maybe better off making yourself if you have a sand pile etc to cover the fire pit (and loader of course)

Brando CalPankian

Both very good ideas. I do have a burn barrel. There is a ton of active logging within 10 minutes of me too. I'm going to start experimenting. Could at least provide what I need for work.

Reactions: ATH

ATH

You can probably scrape up deer carcasses off the highway and use those too...

I've tried to make regular charcoal with limited success. I would think it's going to be very difficult to maintain the temperatures you need for real biochar on a small scale. But on the other hand it can't be that difficult as they did it a few thousand years ago!

Brando CalPankian

It's used as a soil amendment. I believe it has nitrogen fixing properties, helps to remove toxins from the soil, and adds organic matter, cec (cation exchange capacity), and water holding capacity to the soil. It's often used post root crown excavation, premulching, and as root invigoration backfill. Pairs nicely with mycorrhiza as a soil repair agent.

Chaplain242

It's used as a soil amendment. I believe it has nitrogen fixing properties, helps to remove toxins from the soil, and adds organic matter, cec (cation exchange capacity), and water holding capacity to the soil. It's often used post root crown excavation, premulching, and as root invigoration backfill. Pairs nicely with mycorrhiza as a soil repair agent.
It is activated carbon which provides porous harbours for fungi and bacteria, whilst providing an electrostatic bank for minerals, plus the absorption of toxins and harmful concentrations of salts/minerals as stated.

Mayans and Aztecs used it to create gardens in the desert and sandy environments, with added humous, and complicated aquaducts. Lots of research opportunities here if one has the time to do so. They would prime the biochar with the microbes and minerals and fortify their soils with it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom