Disc or Drum style chipper?

Wrangler

I’m looking to replace my 95’ 12” wc 19 chipper. The exaust blow by on the perkins diesel is killing us. I’ll by a newer used unit. The two main questions I have are
1) disc or drum
2) What engines are pretty clean burning, I’m tired of choking on exhaust fumes

It will be 12-15” capacity

Reach

I believe there’s already a couple good threads on this subject, but I’ll weigh in here anyway. Personally, I like drum chippers because they feed faster and more easily than disc chippers. They also tend to be a little heavier, but probably not enough to matter.

As for engines, I like the Cat and Perkins diesels, they’re the most fuel efficient in my opinion, and have held up well for us. If the engine is well-maintained and not worn out, it should run clean and not smoke too much. Any worn out or poorly maintained engine is likely to turn into a dirty, smoke belching monster.

VenasNursery

I believe there’s already a couple good threads on this subject, but I’ll weigh in here anyway. Personally, I like drum chippers because they feed faster and more easily than disc chippers. They also tend to be a little heavier, but probably not enough to matter.

As for engines, I like the Cat and Perkins diesels, they’re the most fuel efficient in my opinion, and have held up well for us. If the engine is well-maintained and not worn out, it should run clean and not smoke too much. Any worn out or poorly maintained engine is likely to turn into a dirty, smoke belching monster.
3500 hrs on our 215 hp Cat it’s a 2015
Only 1 issue
1 fuel line sprung a leak
Pretty awesome imo

VenasNursery

Only 1 issue
Pretty awesome imo
Also this year had a 2013 85 hp “With 800 hrs “Cummins” blow up and they are throw away engines non able to rebuild
$9k
And a Cummins dealer after replacing the engine told me Cummins don’t even make their4 cylinder engines and said they were Hyundai or hitachi

so do your research and choose carefully

another member also mentioned about doing a oil analysis
I think that’s a great idea when purchasing used

Wrangler

Mine has been a great machine but definitely time for rebuild, maybe this winter.
I’ll keep it for back up!

Wrangler

Also this year had a 2013 85 hp “With 800 hrs “Cummins” blow up and they are throw away engines non able to rebuild
$9k
And a Cummins dealer after replacing the engine told me Cummins don’t even make their4 cylinder engines and said they were Hyundai or hitachi

so do your research and choose carefully

another member also mentioned about doing a oil analysis
I think that’s a great idea when purchasing used
Good to know about the Cummins, I am big fan of their older 5.9 so I would have been enticed by a unit with a Cummins, I’ll read up on the newer stuff ‘

Reach

Only 1 issue
Pretty awesome imo
We have a 142 hp Cat on a 2007 with 6500 hours. It’s had a couple issues, but nothing too major. It will need a head gasket some time soon though, it’s starting to blow a few bubbles into the coolant.

96coal449

Nothing wrong with a good JD either ......

I personally prefer a drum over disc. A disc is great for brush. Drums are better for a removal machine.

Serf Life

The gains in production from a 12 and 15-16” chipper is surprisingly large. I have a 12” but have been with companies with 16 and 18” and rented a 15” vermeer a few weeks ago. Around here is lots of red spruce in the 12-18” range and the 3-4” larger chipper about doubles production. Less hauling logs or paying a sub, less cutting of limbs etc.

Wrangler

The gains in production from a 12 and 15-16” chipper is surprisingly large. I have a 12” but have been with companies with 16 and 18” and rented a 15” vermeer a few weeks ago. Around here is lots of red spruce in the 12-18” range and the 3-4” larger chipper about doubles production. Less hauling logs or paying a sub, less cutting of limbs etc.
I used a 9 “ Brush Bandit for 10 yrs , the whole time oblivious to how much time and energy I was wasting. One of my biggest mistakes of my career. Live and learn!

96coal449

A 15 seems to be a well balanced chipper for removals and trimming work. Although it can't chip "everything," it does well for it's weight class and size. It will pull easily behind a 1 ton truck.

Those 9'' jobbers are great for production trimming crews with the occasional smaller removals. Also good back up or complementary chipper to a large machine.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom