Device ID, What is this thing?

FreeFallin

Was watching a video from the Climbing Arborist today and noticed a device I haven't come accross yet, can someone tell me what he is climbing on? Not sure if he is on the buzz.
2017-10-14 11.20.28.png

JeffGu

I had a SpiderJack 2, wore out the clutch in about 4 months (and I'm 61 so I don't do anything fast) so I replaced the expensive clutch and sold it to a friend for cheap. He liked it, and when the SpiderJack 3 came out, he had to have one. So, he sold the other one back to me for $125 to finance that... I promptly gave the thing away to another friend as a gift. He brought the 3 over and I thought, "Wow, this got bigger." and I still think the ZigZag is the only way to go for MRT. The clutches still wear out quick. It's cute, and I'm sure there are lots of people who will swear by the thing. But... that price. Sheesh.

FreeFallin

Ya the size was what made me do a double take. For overall setup it looks like it takes more space than a RW, I don't think anything can beat the Akimbo for that but I am toying with getting a compact BdB to play with DsRT more, I just like simple and compact mechanicals.

Drumbo

I climbed on a hitch then the zig zag then a hitch again then the spiderjack3 and back to the zig zag.
The spiderjack3 is reallllllly awesome. But the way it functions in order to not burn your clutch out quickly is just not natural after spending a lot of time on a hitch or zig zag. I went through my clutch in less than 2 months. I could be a great tool for the right person.

Personally the zig zag is the best thing for moving rope technique. As soon as I started climbing on one again I wondered why I ever stopped.

FreeFallin

Good feedback, I may need to revisit the Zigzag, in my initial pass through all the devices it looked overly complicated to use in a tree, but I need to check it out again

Drumbo

zig zag is simple to use man! The spiderjack3 incorporates a thumb break and a release lever, and if you suck at thumb braking like I did you just burn through the clutch like a son of a bitch. The zigzag is like the most sensitive hitch cord ever.

JeffGu

Yeah, the ZZ isn't midline attachable, and that's its only weakness, in my book. It takes a bit to get used to the release, but is smooth as hell once you get over the initial shock of how sensitive it can be on some ropes. The friction on ascent... or lack thereof... is sweet. For ropes under 13mm, it just falls through the thing once you're up a few feet. Very much like the Akimbo in that it is so compact and simple. The first time you do a limb walk with the ZZ, you'll love it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom