Deflowering agent for Pecan trees?

I have a customer that wants to reduce the amount of Pecans (fruit) their 60 ft. Pecan tree produces. I have found "Tree Tech Snipper Deflowering Agent" and on their website it says it helps reduce the fruit for several other trees such as Sweet gum and Oak trees but it does not state Pecan trees.​

Any one experience the product for Pecans? I am thinking it may work since it helps with other specimens reduce their fruit, unless Pecans are special.​

I appreciate any input!​

Reach

Read the label on Snipper and see if Pecans are listed. If they are not, do not use it. “The label is the law” means exactly that, off-label use of pesticide is illegal.

Besides, if pecans are not listed, it probably won’t work - manufacturers want to use these chemicals in as many ways as possible, so they’ll list everything tree they can.

Reactions: ATH

Reach

Perhaps contact your local state university extension office or agricultural department, they can likely give you some advice.

A quick google search tells me you likely will not be able to reduce nut growth chemically though, except maybe with Ethephon. However, Ethophon is for fruit regulation in commercial production, so it has a couple undesirable side effects on pecans in a landscape setting - chlorosis of the leaves, and premature leaf drop.

Jzack605

Perhaps contact your local state university extension office or agricultural department, they can likely give you some advice.

A quick google search tells me you likely will not be able to reduce nut growth chemically though, except maybe with Ethephon. However, Ethophon is for fruit regulation in commercial production, so it has a couple undesirable side effects on pecans in a landscape setting - chlorosis of the leaves, and premature leaf drop.
Is there a way to offset side effects like that? Foliar fert to avoid uptake through vascular system maybe?

i have no intention of using this, just curious about addressing a scenario like this.

ATH

If you look at the Snipper label, it sounds to me like you'd have to go check the tree daily to make sure you get it treated at the right time.

Also, I'm not going to knock on a client's door and say "hello, I'm here to deflower your....uhh....tree. Your tree, sir, that is why I'm here! Yes, just the tree."

Reach

Is there a way to offset side effects like that? Foliar fert to avoid uptake through vascular system maybe?

i have no intention of using this, just curious about addressing a scenario like this.
That’s a bit above my pay grade, so I can’t give you an educated answer on that one, but I can take a guess.

Ethophon makes ethylene, which is the gas that nature uses to ripen fruits and which is also used in part to tell the leaves to drop in the Fall, so I don’t see fertilizer as doing much to prevent the side effects of the Ethophon.

ATH

That’s a bit above my pay grade, so I can’t give you an educated answer on that one, but I can take a guess.

Ethophon makes ethylene, which is the gas that nature uses to ripen fruits and which is also used in part to tell the leaves to drop in the Fall, so I don’t see fertilizer as doing much to prevent the side effects of the Ethophon.
Sounds reasonable to me. Usually we think of discolored leaves being a nutrient deficiency, but when it is something else causing that, nutrients cannot make up for the changes. Kinda like fertilizing after growth regulator herbicide drift won't correct that damage.

Jzack605

Makes sense. I’m Unfamiliar with these applications and ethophon so it was a shot in the dark. My rational was addressing the cholorisis without uptake from the roots to minimize moving the ai through the Tree at an expedited rate that may make the effects more drastic. Taking a page from what I’ve was told to not fertilize trees that have herbicide damage to avoid making that worse.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom