DED Micro Injections

Jzack605

I had a DED treatment last year that was sold as a micro injection. However I see some sources have found this to be an unsuccessful treatment and it must be macro to be effective. Kind of curious to see what others have found of micro vs macro. I was using propizol which has DED labeled for micro, but don’t necessarily feel that it means it’s the most effective.

ATH

EPA doesn't evaluate efficacy before they approve a label, just environmental impact...so just because it is on there doesn't mean it has to work.

I've heard mixed reviews, but mostly negative, about micro-injection for DED. It is my understanding to get the 3 year control, you need macro-injection. Would love to be able to do mico and save a few hours, but not convinced it will work.

Diggity

Did you have confirmed DED? Or is this preventative?
I have only done or heard of macro for DED. We use it as a therapeutic when DED is found. We do use it on one tree in particular that can’t be sprayed. The other Elms we have are treated with a foliage spray to kill the beetles twice a year. Injections aren’t a great way to prevent DED because you end up making a lot of holes in the tree, even though it’s every three years, it’s still a lot.
I’m curious to hear more about the tree. You don’t see many American Elma anymore.

Jzack605

I’m going to say it’s preventative. It’s an old account I inherited and I haven’t seen any lab reports. It’s definitely in a location that I can’t spray; public library over road and sidewalk.

agree about the holes and a yearly injection (not actually sure this is the case never saw the full mgnt plan). I would like to change it over to macro, which I need to be trained in procedures for.

it’s a beautiful good sized tree. I’ll see if I have pictures.

Reactions: ATH

Diggity

Nice tree. I love how thick they get. So the thing about macro is the volume. I forget the actual rate. But you end up putting gallons of solution in. It’s pretty simple other than that. No plugs for the injection sites. The Ts go right into the holes. And then the whole system is actually closed. We use a drum full of the solution with a small pump that runs at like 10-15 psi. The main lines run to the Ts and then complete the circuit by coming back into the barrel. After its all set up. It’s a lot of waiting. Oh one more thing don’t leave the holes open after drilling. The tree will suck up air and it can slow the process down. I like to prune my system full of water then drill, put the T right in the hole and keep going. Once the whole system is set up, then start pumping solution through. Then follow it up with water to make sure you get everything through.

Diggity

ADA40F4C-3AD3-4E7B-B654-301D140449E4.jpeg 5AE9AE38-7FB1-46AB-8BB2-EC893FE24168.jpeg
Here’s one I did last summer after we thought we saw streaking. It ended up coming back negative for DED and positive for Elm Yellows. Just cut it down last month. Real shame too... 54” dbh. Was a beautiful tree. It was about 75% dead when we cut it.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom