Deck over trailers

Gorman

Branched out member
I have to get a new trailer because I just found out the trailer I have is equipped with an underrated suspension.
I want a deck over but I am torn between a beavertail and a flat one with the pull out ramps. I feel I would get annoyed having to pull the ramps out every time I load and unload. Anyone else deal with both of these types?

Reach

Been here a while
I’ve dealt with both. The beavertail with full width ramps is the way to go, much easier and safer to use, and faster to set up each time.

The flat deck with pull out ramps is best if you’re hauling materials and not equipment, as loading with a forklift is easy, but loading equipment up long, steep, narrow ramps is treacherous and frustrating.

Gorman

Branched out member
I’ve dealt with both. The beavertail with full width ramps is the way to go, much easier and safer to use, and faster to set up each time.

The flat deck with pull out ramps is best if you’re hauling materials and not equipment, as loading with a forklift is easy, but loading equipment up long, steep, narrow ramps is treacherous and frustrating.

This is what I thought. Thanks.

OasisTree

Participating member
Not sure what width you need, but you might look at the PJ H7. It is a lowdeck trailer with drive over fenders, a dovetail, and 6' standup ramps.

I much prefer that over the full width beaver tail, simply because they are much lighter. It seems that the helper springs get less effective over time.

Also I have the 10,000# single wheel axles, so the trailer is rated for 22k.

Fivepoints

Branched out member
I own both styles. The ramps on ours actually go on the side. This is even worse than pull out ramps as you end up having to carry the damned things to the side of the trailer. Ive already been trailer shopping for its replacement. It also never fails the ramps get bent slightly and no longer fit into their holder.

I have two other trailers with beavertail and flip ramp setups. They are much nicer to use even though they have heavier ramps. One of them is a 20k trailer and the other is a 15,6k. The only thing I would change is to get the full width style ramps. Mine won't go narrow enough to load a mini skid. Not at all what we got the trailers to haul but a couple of times it would have been nice to be able to throw it on there.

Gorman

Branched out member
The problem I have now is that I can’t find a trailer to my suiting within a hundred miles of me. If I ordered one it would take 4-6 months.

Reach

Been here a while
The problem I have now is that I can’t find a trailer to my suiting within a hundred miles of me. If I ordered one it would take 4-6 months.
Wow. That’s been a problem, I spoke with our dealer just the other day and the say axles are the big holdup at the moment. Nearly all the axles come from one company, and they’re 8-10 weeks out on new orders at present.

There are some dealers down this way that have some inventory though, check out Pine Hill Trailers in Gordonville, PA; they may have or be able to get what you want, and we aren’t THAT far away.

hseII

Participating member
I have to get a new trailer because I just found out the trailer I have is equipped with an underrated suspension.
I want a deck over but I am torn between a beavertail and a flat one with the pull out ramps. I feel I would get annoyed having to pull the ramps out every time I load and unload. Anyone else deal with both of these types?

Dovetail & don’t look back.

Pull outs are for couches & fifth wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom