Deburring cutters when you sharpen?

dmonn

I noticed that when I sharpen my chains there are often very small burrs on the upper part of the cutters. A couple of days ago I tried deburring them with a flat file (very light stroke or two), and my chains seemed to cut better. Maybe I was just being more careful when I sharpenend them, or maybe deburring helped. Anybody else do this? Am I maybe pressing too hard when I sharpen my chains and that creates burrs? Looking for thoughts on this.

flushcut

Chain sharpness is a combination of things angles, raker height, cutter profile, and finally cutter sharpness. And I am sure I am missing a few points, that's it in a nut shell.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
The ‘burr’ you’re seeing is a bit of the chrome plating hanging on

I never give it a second thought.

If you see a flake carefully touch it with a gloved finger. See how little it takes to break off? The chrome plating is brittle not malleable

dmonn

Thanks for the comments. No need to do more effort if it doesn't pay off. My chains are definitely sharper, though. I suspect I'm just getting better at sharpening them and maybe sharpening them more often. I now have a much better sharpening setup than before.

A thought from a knife makers perspective, and life long knife sharpening freak. Once a burr is created on any cutting edge, that proves that it comes to a sharp wire edge, and it has rolled over. a rolled over edge is sharp, but nothing like a polished edge, with no rolled over wire edge. When sharpening knives, normally you use an abrasive to create the burr/wire edge, then hone or strop the wire edge away with something that essentially polishes the edge.

With that said, a power saw is a long ways from a simple knife, but the core principles and physics of the cutting edge are still there. I’m sort of between it’s in your head and sure would make a difference, not sure how much though.

Ross,

Last edited:

dmonn

Definitely using a hand file. I have a grinder but don't use it. I don't have very good control with it. The burrs are small.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom