Dead frond removal from sawtooth palm??

Winchman

Branched out member
What is the safe way to remove a mass of dead fronds from this sawtooth palm? It's about thirty feet up, and there's no good TIP close enough or in the palm itself. I don't really want to climb the tree under all that stuff anyway. The neighbor is tired of fronds falling in the yard a couple at a time, and wants them all gone. There's no room to drop the tree in one piece.
1618332184679.png

The only approach I can think of is to get a rope up high in the nearby pine, go to the far side of the palm, and work the rope up and down on the fronds to bring them down. Will that work?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Don't laugh...

Scaffolding

It can be rented cheap for a day or two.

Another solution...and realize that I've skinned dead fronds out of exactly ONE palm in my life... is to thread an SRT line through the head. Get some flexible electrical conduit and make a one-off @DanHouse type sleeve to protect your rope. Stay out from under the globs of dead fronds. Starting with a pole saw keeps you away from the thorns.

Reach

Been here a while
Scaffolding will work, or rent a lift. Something like a 55’ towable lift, or a Haulotte 55XA will work quite nicely, and I’m sure there’s a local rental company with one available for a few hundred a day. Much easier (and safer!) than climbing up under a bunch of dead fronds.

evo

Been here a while
I've never had to deal with palms. or have been in a bucket or lift

But I've had to drop in many times on stetchy things.

My impression of palms is that they are super bendy and it looks like you have near by trees. Not knowing anything with palms I'd try to shake the crap out of the tree with a tagline over the top. I do this semi regularly to try to shake out dead tops.
Can you reach it with a pole saw from another tree? Can you set a floating anchor? Can you pull the palm closer to a tree with a better tip? I'd try most all these, and if that failed try a swing between the green and dead

Lemonjello

What is the safe way to remove a mass of dead fronds from this sawtooth palm? It's about thirty feet up, and there's no good TIP close enough or in the palm itself. I don't really want to climb the tree under all that stuff anyway. The neighbor is tired of fronds falling in the yard a couple at a time, and wants them all gone. There's no room to drop the tree in one piece.
View attachment 75055

The only approach I can think of is to get a rope up high in the nearby pine, go to the far side of the palm, and work the rope up and down on the fronds to bring them down. Will that work?
If you can tie into pine, you can also do a srt line base tied in the Palm. Ascend pine and transfer over to palm. Work the closest side first and some good gloves you can grab/pull fronds.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom