Dead Branches

This tree has been healthy for years .This Spring , a section never turned green . Nothing unusual happened to the tree during the winter months . The branches are definitely dead . What caused this , and is there a treatment ?

Attachments

• C86891EC-0DF2-41C8-BB9F-32EA8942EF70.jpeg
    C86891EC-0DF2-41C8-BB9F-32EA8942EF70.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 51

Neill

This tree has been healthy for years .This Spring , a section never turned green . Nothing unusual happened to the tree during the winter months . The branches are definitely dead . What caused this , and is there a treatment ?
Hard to tell what type it is from the photo. It looks like a hemlock, can you confirm or get a closer image?

Njdelaney

Branched out member
X2 on the Yew. Taxus densiformus. Doesn't look like a brand new problem to me. Was there some kind of invasive vine on it for a while like honeysuckle or trumpet vine or wild grape?

X2 on the Yew. Taxus densiformus. Doesn't look like a brand new problem to me. Was there some kind of invasive vine on it for a while like honeysuckle or trumpet vine or wild grape?
IF there were dead branches on the tree (? Yew) before last winter , it had to have been a much smaller area , because I never noticed it . Now , as you can see , the area is quite large . The tree (? Yew) alongside it seems unaffected ; but I’ll look more closely tonight when I take better pictures . No invasive vine as far as I know . I have a lawn service that cuts the grass weekly and trims the bushes/trees yearly in the Fall . I would hope that they would have advised me last Fall if they noticed something wrong - BUT , they haven’t said anything yet ; so now I just don’t know how long the condition has been present . I do feel strongly that if an invasive vine was present , I would have noticed it . Thanks , PT .

I went out to take some pictures . I’ll have to edit comments I made in my previous post . I never use this entry to the house , so I was unaware that the second tree is indeed suffering from the same condition that the first one has . I now must admit that a previous responder is very likely correct in stating that the problem appears to be a long standing one . Frankly , the future of these trees appears bleak to my inexperienced eyes . Nonetheless , I would like to hear from the Forum readers as to what they think caused this problem , and if they think all is lost for these trees . ….Many thanks , PT

Attachments

• 18BFC70F-54E5-443C-B696-F577CB762533.jpeg
    18BFC70F-54E5-443C-B696-F577CB762533.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • F31F994B-7A69-46A2-853E-21671BDAC6ED.jpeg
    F31F994B-7A69-46A2-853E-21671BDAC6ED.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 8A0B5954-B005-4AAF-A2B3-F7900BE90837.jpeg
    8A0B5954-B005-4AAF-A2B3-F7900BE90837.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 2B2C9ED7-E8BC-4E53-A922-2BB9B54FCB31.jpeg
    2B2C9ED7-E8BC-4E53-A922-2BB9B54FCB31.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 17

Neill

It does appear to be a couple of large yews like mentioned above.besides the large dead spots they appear to be in fair condition to me. Check out this article:
It’s possible that given adequate time, pruning, and plant healthcare those holes could regain foliage. I’d not consider them a lost cause based on your photos and descriptions

It does appear to be a couple of large yews like mentioned above.besides the large dead spots they appear to be in fair condition to me. Check out this article:
It’s possible that given adequate time, pruning, and plant healthcare those holes could regain foliage. I’d not consider them a lost cause based on your photos and descriptions
Thank you Neill for your timely response and advice . … PT

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom