Dc 1317

Looking at buying a new chipper. Looking at a DC 1317 12in with a kabota gas engine. We mostly chip 9in limbs and smaller. Do anyone have any input on this type of chipper? Thank you

Reach

Welcome to TreeBuzz! You’ve come to the right place for a question like that, someone here has probably run every chipper ever made, and everyone has an opinion they’re willing to share. You’ll find some great advice here, and some real nuts. Ignore those, they’re harmless, mostly

Personally, I have never run an Altec chipper, and I’ve only ever seen one or two around. That does not mean they are not good machines, but I have learned there’s usually a reason that a machine is not terribly popular. Personally, I like the 990XP Bandit, for a chipper in that size range. If you are looking at new, they have renamed it the 12XP.

However, if you chip a lot of branches in the 9 inch diameter range, you might be better served to step up to a larger machine, because a 15 inch chipper will eat things that size much more easily.

Reach

Which engine have you used in the 990 @Reach ? I’ve read reviews saying it’s underpowered.
I have run it with the 85 +/- hp Perkins and a similar sized Kubota. I never found it to be underpowered, for its size. I did prefer the Perkins engine over the Kubota though, the Kubota has about the same power but used almost exactly twice as much fuel.

It won’t like eating 10”+ logs all day, but 6” and smaller is fine, and it never had any trouble eating brush. We used to make 50 yards of chips a day no problem, and we fed it with a skidloader at times.

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom