Days in Maine

Jonny

Haven’t been there in 3 years or so, but we vacation at York Beach. COLD water but it’s welcome on hot days. I love the smell and the sounds of the ocean. Like medicine for the soul.

We sometimes visit my Aunt there for Thanksgiving, it’s spooky how different it is when the tourists aren’t around, like a ghost town. I think even most of the police are seasonal workers.

misfit

I agree with you that Maine is a marvelous place. I live in Louisiana, but I have been to Maine several times. I have explored the coast including Portland, Freeport (and LL Bean), Camden, Mount Desert Island and the northern coast as well. One of my most unforgettable memories was watching the Puffins up close from a blind on Machias Seal Island. I remember staying in a house being rented by a stereotypical New England salty guy who showed us the house and was about to leave when I asked for a key. There is no key. Don't need one. I also spent some time in Baxter State Park and even hiked the Knife Edge trail. It was spectacular, but I have never been so dehydrated in my life, and that is saying a lot. However, afterward, I enjoyed the best pizza I have ever had in my life at a small place in Millinocket. I loved the lowland scenery and up-close encounters with moose. I was amazed at all the potato fields as far as the eye could see for miles upon miles in the northeastern part. Some of the best sunsets I have ever seen on the coast, and I love how the weather changes so fast. It's a beautiful state, and I'm sure I will go there again.

Serf Life

I’ve got some great memories of canoeing in the northern bit of lake pontchartrain. Huge freaking pigs on those islands! Anaphylaxis at 3am during Mardi Gras, not so fun.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love Maine.
I have a good friend w/ house & 600 ft of frontage on the Damariscotta River (very pristine).
Lots of seals, fish, muscles, oysters, etc.
Just avoid the black fly season !

AdkEric

Looks beautiful, definitely on my short list for a vacation. I have never been, but before my folks moved south they used to vacation in Bar Harbor.

Sfoppema

Was going to go up to a buddy's lake house to do some work soon, but now they're hitting any Mass plates coming up 95 with a $500 ticket. They use the EZ pass pay by plate thing to do it... Sun of a gun!

ductaper

For folks who live here or have ties to it we know what a special place this can be. No state is the “best” but I really love Maine. Gonna post pics and day to day living now and then. Hope it may help tempt some travelers or people looking for a new area to try out.
I'm happy to say that my family and I are going to be vacationing in Maine in August and are really looking forward to the trip. About half the time will be on MDI and half up in the Rangeley Lake area. Was wondering if I could gather some suggestions for off-the-beaten-path places to see as well as must-dos and don't dos. Sure appreciate any insight.

Maine has recently allowed travelers from the NY/NJ/CT area because of our declining COVID rates and has actively been advertising down here on the radio saying something to the effect of "we're open for business and welcoming visitors from the tri-state area". Gotta say, that, along with this post, were big factors in deciding to go!

Thanks, and looking forward to any suggestions!

Serf Life

Two beautiful areas, generally when you get more than 1/2 mile off the road crowds thin out which I certainly prefer. Bring bug spray.

Rangeley is awesome to explore around, and great hunting too, can’t go wrong. Newly graded roads up there can be sharp so make sure your spare is good and maybe have a couple cans of Fix-a-Flat or TireJack etc. If you have interest in old tools at all the Tool Barn in Bar Harbor is pretty cool, I frequent their sister store in Liberty and have scored some awesome gear: axes, drawshaves, spokeshaves, chisels, an 1880 gouge in need of some work etc.

Maine is freighted with Breweries and distilleries if you’re into that, a ridiculous amount given our population. Lots of back roads and farms, take some time in between spots and there’s always something good. Mountains, whitewater rafting, fishing, whale watching, boat lovers meccas, rock-climbing...

ductaper

Two beautiful areas, generally when you get more than 1/2 mile off the road crowds thin out which I certainly prefer. Bring bug spray.

Rangeley is awesome to explore around, and great hunting too, can’t go wrong. Newly graded roads up there can be sharp so make sure your spare is good and maybe have a couple cans of Fix-a-Flat or TireJack etc. If you have interest in old tools at all the Tool Barn in Bar Harbor is pretty cool, I frequent their sister store in Liberty and have scored some awesome gear: axes, drawshaves, spokeshaves, chisels, an 1880 gouge in need of some work etc.

Maine is freighted with Breweries and distilleries if you’re into that, a ridiculous amount given our population. Lots of back roads and farms, take some time in between spots and there’s always something good. Mountains, whitewater rafting, fishing, whale watching, boat lovers meccas, rock-climbing...
Thanks for your tips, especially the bug spray and tire info. Probably wouldn’t have brought either! I do love tools and will definitely check out the Tool Barn. Thanks Serf Life!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom