damage to service drop, should I go ahead and pay the full amount or is there a way to reduce it?

erwin

I normally wait till the utility to drop the line. However, this time their wait time is over a month and its not that hard for me to do it without line drop. So, I decided to get it done. However, a small twig broke off the large branch we are lowering and broke the line. it's a very old type of service line consisted of a single conductor from probably the 70s. there's not even a cable that serves as the ground wire which add strength to the line. So, the utility crew came and put the newest line and charged me 2200 bucks for it. I could either have my liability insurance pay it or out of my pocket. Initially I thought it'd be less than 800 and just pay it out of pocket. but this is too excessive my opinion. what do u guys think?

rico

let them sue you.

it won't be worth their trouble.

just throw their bills in the trash
Apparently Daniel doesn't have a problem stealing money from another workingman?

Do the right thing and either pay your bill, or file a claim with your insurance company...Me I would file a claim... That is why we have insurance after all...

Last edited by a moderator:

VenasNursery

I normally wait till the utility to drop the line. However, this time their wait time is over a month and its not that hard for me to do it without line drop. So, I decided to get it done. However, a small twig broke off the large branch we are lowering and broke the line. it's a very old type of service line consisted of a single conductor from probably the 70s. there's not even a cable that serves as the ground wire which add strength to the line. So, the utility crew came and put the newest line and charged me 2200 bucks for it. I could either have my liability insurance pay it or out of my pocket. Initially I thought it'd be less than 800 and just pay it out of pocket. but this is too excessive my opinion. what do u guys think?
Pay out of pocket
Not worth claiming
Imo

erwin

I’m more leaning toward paying out of pocket. I’ll have a meeting tomorrow with my agent for annual renewal and I’ll ask him about it.

erwin

I wouldn’t even have hesitated to pay out of pocket in full if it’s a reasonable amount. Seems to me it’s quite excessive.

rico

I’m more leaning toward paying out of pocket. I’ll have a meeting tomorrow with my agent for annual renewal and I’ll ask him about it.
I think most would just pay out of pocket in this situation... Me, I have for decades been paying for liability and have never used it, so I wouldn't give a second though to filing a claim...

Benjo75

I'd pay it just to not have to deal with the insurance company. I wouldn't drag it out or not pay. They can make things harder on you in the future if you give them trouble. Just think if a customer refused to pay you. They wouldn't be a top priority in the future if they needed your services.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
I’m a retired arborist and I don’t play one in TV

Talk with your agent. Consider your deductible. Consider seeing your rates go up next year because of a claim. That’s more myth than reality

When I had my first worker’s compensation claim the bill was only $500 or so. I filed with WC then saw my performance rating go up 5-10% for two years. Cost me thousands in raised rates. It was a learning experience. The next year I changed insurance agents He asked about claims and I told him what happened. His advice was to file an accident report for small claims but pay the bills out of pocket. All legit and above board. If something went bad years down the line and the claim was opened WC would cover the bill and I turn in my payments fir a refund.

What my agent explained was that claims are paid to fix what’s broken today. The modification charges are collected ‘just in case’ there’s a future claim. WC claims are never closed so an injury could realistically become an issue years down the line.

I had another WC claim a couple years later. I called my agent first to be on record. Then I called the WC division to file the notice. The person on the phone was not happy that I was ‘self insuring’. I even asked if what my agent said was true...it was. The WC company was not looking out for me. My agent was.

Daniel

Those lines should have been replaced anyhow.

they were making you wait a month because they are cheap and won't pay the labor to be properly outfitted to serve the community or they just figure they can save by making the wait time so long the tree contractor will find another way to get the job done. Then on top of that, they are gouging you for the fix.

NFW.. what's the downside to not paying. You're not getting sued. It may affect your credit. That's a chance you're taking but likely it will not.

Worst case it does: you could probably fix that or last it out a lot cheaper than $2,200

It's their delay that was at the root cause of this situation. Let them take responsibility for that.

Last edited:

Merle Nelson

Is "offer in compromise" the term I'm looking for? I would talk with a higher up at the power company and tell them you want to be straight up and you want to pay out of pocket to not have insurance unnecessarily go up, and you would do this in a minute if it were fair cost of repair for your mistake. (If first contact person doesn't see a way to work with you, second or third one after a short pause would.) Offer them $800.

Here is why that is fair. Just repairing would be to put the line back in place with a new compression fitting or two and all would be as it was. If they choose to upgrade the system or have that as a mandate, that is on them, not a part of getting things back to working. And what's worse...reverse the scenario, you have a 10 year old cherry work truck insured for full collision. Someone runs into it and it is totaled. The insurance not only does not buy you a new work truck, they look for a way to give you the lowest Kelly Blue Book figure.

rico

Devil tongue
once again you twist the truth to spew hatred in the world
That's a utility company ... not the working man....

You act like a little prince of lies
Twist the truth? Fucking please. You came on here and suggested that Erwin take his bill and throw it in the trash. Thats the truth buddy.

Another truth. An outfit (big or small) came out and supplied the expertise, equipment, labor, and materials needed to remedy the problem...So yea, your the kind of asshole who would take money out of these peoples pockets. I can only speak for myself but I know how I deal with those who choose not to pay me.

Yet another truth. Erwin has admitted to being responsible for the damage. Unlike yourself Erwin appears to be a standup fella and is going to assume responsibility for the damage.

Yet another nother truth. Around here, as well as the other states I have worked in, the HO is responsible for their service drop.. Not the utility or power company...

Last edited:

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom