Critique my 2 'squeezers' plz? (TreeSqueeze-configuration lanyards)

eyehearttrees

Ok so once I got the whole idea of it I was hooked if you haven't seen how these work then this ~1min youtube by Buckingham shows its use very well it's so smart to be choking your flipline (and your false crotches can often benefit or require choking) as you ascend and once up it just becomes your anchor/false-crotch, at any rate I feel foolish for having had such a long time between thinking "that's neat" and actually experimenting as it is crazy cheap/simple/quick to make these in fact I dare say these are "appropriate" for the average climber to always have alongside their adjustable flipline. I should note that the use of doubled-hardware in my configurations (I made ~7' and a 12' units) is for two reasons primarily it's as a bend-radius increase but also redundancy is nice (and a 3rd I guess which is that, technically, once my Mercury is doubled-over it's stronger than a single generic climb ring ie 22 or 35kN) but it's most-important on the prussik as the prussik//hardware interface is gonna be this thing's point of failure that's why the latest prussik I made for it had a *pair* of thimbles IE so I could really spread the load on the prussik-cordage (ordered 3/8's but Gap sent the heavy-duty versions of 1/2" thimbles, they work just fine though of course)

I'd love to hear tips/advice on use from people using these (same for tips on construction/configuration), I'm going to get a 2nd large alum ring for my smaller Squeezer, I like the two small rings on my large squeezer (12' long) and spliced Blue Moon goes through just fine, while it seems official recommendation is that you use a Squeezer along-side a flipline/lanyard, your lanyard is now just going-through the anchorage of the Squeezer (causing it to choke whatever it's around) instead of around the tree, so much cleaner/tighter BUT I can't help think "could I ditch that extra lanyard?" for instance instead just use the tail of the Squeezer itself as the flipline tethering your belt to the squeezer, or use the tail of you climb-line (for instance here's the former here's using the tail of my 12" squeezer as its own lanyard, obviously needs a pair of prussiks or 1 prussik & a ring knotted-onto it to make 2 ends for my side D's but can't see why this wouldn't be just fine or even superior both strength & convenience:
19700101_190240.jpg
^the bulge of the Ice Tail's chafe-sleeving as it goes-around that 1/2" steel thimble is just bent-chafe-tubing the splices are on-point no slop and no tightness each end got 1 brummel then buried past the halfway / buried til overlapped-tails as-per Samson's Ice Tail instructions.

Here'd be "normal use" using a regular lanyard/flipline:
19700101_190409.jpg
Have to imagine this ^ squeezer would beat the TreeSqueeze in raw strength I mean Uniline specs seem to be unlisted but Mercury is the best 7/16" I know of it's 8.5k lbs static but also 3.5% elasticity with that nylon kern/core and the 32-strand cover + Ice Tail is an outstanding combo I'm using Fisheman's Knotted loops of Ice Tail for climbing, keeps the Ice Tail at 8mm, and the eye&eyes on doubled-over Mercury as that splicing makes it an 11mm diameter once done. Ice Tail is also a mid-8k's lbs ABS line, though not the same dynamic capacity (in fact at just-over 1% it's the stiffest rope I own, just goes so well w/ Mercury), the failure point on the Treesqueeze or this should be a prussik-leg (or prussik//hardware interface if not suitable bend radius) so Ice Tail's static character, in-use with the more elastic Mercury, it almost "gives the prussik some cushion" since if the prussik sees a real high load it's pulling a line with give, not some stationary mount.

This is a shorter one ~7', am getting a 2nd large o-ring for the bend-side of it and plan to use 1 of those ISC carabiners on the epicord on the other side just had both in there for illustration because those are 25kN, $8 carabiners so you can give your Squeezer's hitch a good/better radius by using two of those, maybe also situations where clipping the lanyard cordage is of value for instance if your 'lanyard' were the doubled-over rope from the tail of the squeezer! Squeezer #2:
19700101_190443.jpg

Oh and don't plan to keep that 3/4" cover-braid 'chafe sleeve' on as I want my small unit to be able to choke very small stems, at any rate if using the doubled-over tail - which'd require more prussiks on the end of the squeezer's cordage - it'd be nice to have them already-installed on the squeezer's tail, but then you couldn't just slide that tail through a few o-rings.....by using 'biners on one side you could effectively leave it 'half-setup' wherein the other half was just clipping the biners around the tail at the right spot :)

Anyone else messing with these? Getting such tight anchoring on spars is insane in fact I've heard some utility outfits require the TreeSqueeze specifically, anyway with it taking virtually nothing to make one I've gotta say I'm surprised they aren't more common am betting 95/100 people who've made their own adjustable lanyard/flipline would be happy they made one of these and you can get 5-packs of the o-rings for like mid-$20's online (Fusion brand, using 2 to increase bend-radius & match cordage's ABS means that built-in redundancy anyway so no "I don't trust Fusion" worries), Ice Tail is $1.29/ft I've ordered twice from Gap as they don't charge s&h and Mercury is inexplicably cheap so yeah this ^ type of 'squeezer' is far cheaper, & superior to, the $170 "Treesqueeze" I bet if more were aware of them they'd make them!

SeanRuel

I'd guess there is some kind of patent keeping similar products off the market. Looks like a nice homemade version tho.

Uni-line is 10500 for 1/2"

Mowerr

Why 2 biners in the eye2eye hitch cord?
It's easy to get carried away with this stuff. I would just put one through both eyes..
Those rings are junk and I wouldn't use those thimbles for life support apps. Use dmms or the art snake tail thimble they call a tunnel ring I think.
Boil it down, simplify and use the best tools when your putting your life on them please.

eyehearttrees

I'd guess there is some kind of patent keeping similar products off the market. Looks like a nice homemade version tho.

And yeah I'm sure it'd be a poor business-decision for another retailer to market that configuration, it's "patent pending" although honestly it'd be nice to see it challenged since it's not a novel produce it's a configuration, am not certain they COULD patent it I mean "patent pending" is probably the max 'protection' they can get (IE could you patent SRT as a technique? Double whipping? How about the venerable "adjustable flipline", consisting of climb-line with a spliced-eye on one end and a hitch-cord acting as the opposite end? If there's grounds to patent a TreeSqueeze configuration then there's grounds to patent a regular old adjustable lanyard, honestly I think Buck would have a hell of a time in court but only someone w/ their $$$$ could test that since they've got the funds to really make a big, long deal out of it....ah free market capitalism!!)

Profits aside, it's a really smart rope-configuration IMO and it'd be awesome to see it get-use wherever applicable (not by just those who paid $170 for Buck's choices of cordage), I mean "the build" is easier than a regular "adjustable flipline" because instead of splicing one end you're simply folding a 2X longer section (with an o-ring or two in the bend), truly an easier product to DIY than regular adj.fliplines I hope to see more making DIY's I mean you can choke a spar for a climbing anchor, so far as I'm aware this configuration is the ONLY way to legitimately set "an anchor" on a skinny spar (if I'm correct then it's "not OK" to use, say, a whoopie with an XL ring, not sure *why* but last I checked it wasn't deemed ok!)

Uni-line is 10500 for 1/2"
Okay so it may be as strong, tensile, as my Mercury here (hard to guess at how much to down-grade a 1/2" to a 7/16", cordage strength increases more than linear to diameter (ie a 1" line is significantly stronger than 2X a 1/2" line of the same materials))
10k for a 1/2" is good tensile strength and that's all that matters, IMO, for *lanyards* -- because you're not going to shock-load your flip-line so hard as to dynamically-load to any serious degrees, but what about 'the other half' of a Squeezer? Static cordage is fine for it during ascent, when you're right with it & incapable of really shock-loading it, but once you've ascended it becomes an anchorage point IE using it to bolster the flipline on ascent and then a fixed climb-line-anchor once in-canopy.....I can tell you that if it's some 1-something-% cordage then its dynamic strength - which is what matters for fall-arrest - would be FAR less than Mercury, which is 8.5k tensile but 3.5% elasticity @10%ABS, even if Uniline is 2.5% elasticity (which'd impress me I'm betting it's a stiffer line than that) *and* you were comparing 1/2" uniline to 7/16 Mercury, Mercury would still win on dynamic-loading which is what I (and anyone trusting their life to the line) should care about, pisses me off how the entire arb industry focuses on static-tensile strength when virtually all we care about - whether rigging systems to let us ascend trees or safely descend their branches - is measured in *dynamic* strengths! Ugh I'll just keep that Yale link in my sig and hope people read it & watch the video, it really hits you when you see a 20k line rip, and then a 6k line take the same load over&over&over, really illustrates how blind it'd be to rely on tensile/static yet that's the norm >:-(

eyehearttrees

Those rings are junk and I wouldn't use those thimbles for life support apps.
Why are they junk? They certainly move a lot of units and Walmart distributes them, is there some "Fusion breaks" stigma I'm not privvy to?
Nevermind that there's two, I'll take two Fusion rings (until there's legitimate reason for product-recall) over a single DMM ring *any day*, DMM is surely a better company than Fusion I'm not arguing that but it's an obvious/simple choice the way I see it:
DMM's chance of failure is non-zero, surely lower than Fusion but non-zero
Fusion's chance of failure is non-zero, surely higher than DMM's but not enough for recalls.
A chance of a DMM ring failing in-use may be lower than Fusion (would bet the difference is negligible, they're aluminum rings probably one of the simplest products to make), but the odds of TWO fusion-ring failures on the same sling, jeebus, the odds would be astronomical compared to a single-failure on a DMM ring. Products fail, even by the best companies, I don't have a problem w/ DMM and not promoting Fusion but, life-on-line, I'll take a pair of Fusion rings over a single DMM ring, no question.

Why 2 biners in the eye2eye hitch cord?
It's easy to get carried away with this stuff. I would just put one through both eyes..
Those rings are junk and I wouldn't use those thimbles for life support apps. Use dmms or the art snake tail thimble they call a tunnel ring I think.
Boil it down, simplify and use the best tools when your putting your life on them please.

"Illustration's sake"? Heh I don't have enough of those 'biners to comfortably lose a pair I just wanted to illustrate a configuration that's mid-line attachable, or at least it is on one end, for instance if you use larger thimbles like I use you can't slide your lanyard out of the Squeezer when you're ascending and passing a branch, if one end were 'biners you can simply un-clip as you pass a branch ;D (and 2, instead of 1, because those are 25kN so using just 1 would make it the weak/fail point of the setup, am *not* saying I wouldn't climb on a 25kN setup all day long w/o a second thought but just liked the idea of showing how, for $20 (2 ISC biners) and <$10 of cordage to make a hitch w/ Ice Tail, you can have a stronger & more versatile configuration!) Honestly am not keeping the 2nd one was really just feeling-out configurations after falling in love w/ the general concept (kinda like adjustable fliplines ;D ) and, seeing $170 from Buck for a pair of o-rings and a lil cordage, wanted to illustrate some thoughts I'd had on its adaptation for regular (DIY) use! Won't be keeping two and my final won't be any of what's pictured well it'll be the one w/ two, small o-rings only it'll be a pair of large o-rings so I can pass a hitch through that side as well, definitely keeping the Ice Tail w/ 1/2" thimbles as the hitch side, if you're wondering "why two alum rings?" it's because they're not as strong as steel rings and a single one would be the weak/fail point of the setup, although even if it weren't I'd still use the two because:
- they cost next to nothing,
- I'm getting a better bend-radius for what is surely the weak-point of the sling's main cordage (ie the bend where the o-ring sits), and
- I'm getting built-in redundancy of 2 rings instead of 1 and, being aluminum, their weight is surely around that of 1 steel ring... I'd take a pair of alum over a single steel any day (and I'm for steel over aluminum as a general rule!)

Have you guys seen anyone else make these Squeezers yet, like DIY? Youtube reviews of the OEM product are very favorable, I've sadly had too little time to give that good a review but while I haven't 'had need' for them, just in using them you can see so many prior circumstances where you think "it'd have been nice to've had this for that tree!", actually Buck's video(1st line of post#1) shows it just perfectly, definitely a balls-out move to call it a "product" when it's merely a configuration (said in another post but could someone patent SRT technique? How about regular adjustable fliplines?) but no company is going to challenge them because Buck's got enough $$ to win even if they're in the wrong (ie they could stall-out and starve a rival who tried selling it, that doesn't mean they have a valid claim on patent it just means they could hold-out a trial longer than a competitor could afford) Hmmm, I've got little real assets to lose, maybe I should offer them for sale (jk of course it's literally something that's stupid to waste $$ shipping it's literally just folding a cord & adding a hitch :p )

Last edited:

Mowerr

Lol whyyy don't you like your life ?!?!? I gave u my thoughts....I can't handle all them words and thoughts but when it come to life support I get the best I can.
Plus when you decide u want to sell those good luck!

eyehearttrees

Lol whyyy don't you like your life ?!?!? I gave u my thoughts....I can't handle all them words and thoughts but when it come to life support I get the best I can.
Gonna make this short&sweet, "tl;dr", so you have no reason not to answer something that's absent from 2 posts now: Why are Fusion rings "trash", or even inferior?

Spreading misinformation is obviously in poor form but you're holding-back on the reason....which makes me worry it was simple "cheaper=worse" thinking.

So...Why are Fusion o-rings bad?

Mowerr

Then you definitely missed the point and I'm not gonna bother going further. Sorry I said anything. Use whatever you wanna. I wish u a long safe and prosperous life. That's all.

eyehearttrees

Then you definitely missed the point and I'm not gonna bother going further. Sorry I said anything. Use whatever you wanna. I wish u a long safe and prosperous life. That's all.
Ok so you were making it up when implying Fusion products were junk. Gotcha.

For anyone reading, I did look into this - if they're junk I've gotta know - all I could find is a theater performance who broke a carabiner by using it as an anchor (ie multiple things hanging off of it), Fusion isn't named but googling seems to say it was a Fusion 'biner (the Globe's omission of their name does cast-doubt on those affected by the tragedy being upset w/ Fusion over it) dollars-to-donuts it was an obvious-overload situation probably using a regular (mid-20kN's) biner as an anchor for multiple, simultaneous dynamic hits as the rupture was 3 splits on the spline, that is *not* a biner that saw 105% of its fail-strength the thing got slammed -- would be interesting trivia to know peak-force it was hit with but at any rate the #'s get sticky because it was "theater performers" using the biner as an anchor for multiple forces so god knows what kind of opposing-force-vectors were created...must've been quite a show!! (in poor taste? OK so I am more interested in a slow-mo recording of the break than with the results of the failure, god I feel sociopathic!)

There's a TON of fusion gear out there, just stories like mentioned ^ (ie people overloading gear) should be more common, their very absence is a reassurance for Fusion. And, again, the 'trash' you were specifically referring to were in a 2-ring configuration IE would need 2 failures for danger, now that I think about it am wondering if you're literally trying to troll me on this. Either Fusion is bad because ____________, or you "just heard stories"(wouldn't expect you to admit you pulled it straight out of your ass, as we both know you did, but at least wouldn't be you 100% unable to support a convinction...especially after espousing to be oh-so safety-conscious!)

eyehearttrees

And I do think there was a quip about this earlier, in-context of Buck not having any real chance at a patent. And, obviously, Buck wouldn't let *anybody* profit from this.

I did post this thread to "get them out there", only not via the mail I just wanted to show that this truly great lanyard doesn't need to be bought for ~$200 it is as-easy as making any adjustable-friction-saver, just some cord / a hitch / 2 pieces of hardware and you've got a realllly cool "lanyard tool" that both carries/uses your climb-line & instantly becomes your anchor(false crotch) once aloft, this is a great concept and, unlike the Safebloc, this *can* be utilized w/o being gouged for IP-fee's.

Nobody will make $ with them and nobody *should* is the point, *exactly* like w/ adjustable friction-savers (which, w/ a Squeezer, go to your hip until you're aloft & swapping your Squeezer+climb-line from a lanyard system to your anchored-climbing-system), it's as-logical a progression as "regular adjustable friction savers" (which are still up-priced but, not held by 1 company, nowhere near as badly!) so I was just wanting to spread the idea. Will continue doing so :)

Mowerr

Lol relax kid.
How bout ask yourself why are you using garbage for life support? Like you, I fear the answer Is that cheaper is better? Your broke?
I understand if you wanna buy a cheap hammer or chainsaw but when I put my life on something, I buy the best that I can.
Not cheap Chinese made knock offs.
I don't even know if it's from China but do you know where it's from? Who makes it and how they operate?
All the guys here that don't use that junk use brand names that are very transparent with how they make their products, you can contact them through email, sometimes even phone. True certified professionals that make gear specifically for our applications. So I like that more than whatever the fuck your using.
Idgaf what u use. Use it. Have fun be safe and don't bother me with ridiculous questions you should have searched the archives for.
Just like everything other thread you start....you don't do your research smh.

Jonny

ISC rings are very inexpensive in steel or aluminum, they just don’t have the pretty finish. They’re like 5$ or 6$ and made in UK.

Fusion was blacklisted by UIAA in the past for falsely advertising and labeling some biners as UIAA certified when they were not. UIAA doesn’t have to mean much to tree climbers... but still that’s shady AF and their hardware is Chinese.
Nope.
They’re not on the blacklist anymore but google doesn’t forget the past very easily, check it out.
You’re probably fine with the 2 rings instead of just 1 there but if you’re looking to save a few bucks in the future, you shan’t regret those ISC rings or anything really from ISC.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom