Crane winch spitting oil

ROYCE

Anyone know why the winch on my national 13105 would be spitting hydraulic fluid from a pressure valve? I am calling it a pressure valve. Its a bolt with a rubber piece that pokes out so oil can drain out. Not sure why this would do it? There is also a valve like this on my rotation motor as well, however that one if fine.
I worked the crane in the cold on Friday. -7 when we left the shop. However, crane was in a heated garage all night long. Went to job, sent up okay, and used for almost the entire day when at about 2 it started to leak. leaked really bad at first, then slowed way down to just a few drops. Could this be a pressure release? Maybe the cold froze some moisture that was inside? I will call the crane company on Monday but figured if any of you seasoned crane guys knew what this could be?

96coal449

Royce, with the cold snap that we just had I agree with your thought of a bit of moisture freezing up in there. Is the crane back in your shop now? My bet is it will be fine once warmed back up.

ROYCE

Royce, with the cold snap that we just had I agree with your thought of a bit of moisture freezing up in there. Is the crane back in your shop now? My bet is it will be fine once warmed back up.
Yup, back in the heated shop. I will not be using it until wednesday of this week. I mean it never got above 10 degrees or so when we were using it. Also, a few days before the cold snap we had a bit of rain, so a lot of moisture in the air.

96coal449

It was definitely bone chillin on Friday. My girl and I drove to Shrewsbury, PA (which is close to the VA border) and back that day and I doubt it ever peaked above 10* there either. Hopefully your good next time out with it. :D

ROYCE

Leaking from the vent plug im gathering? X2 on pic...
Yup, you are correct. Blew an o ring in the hydraulic motor and it was pumping oil into the gear box and then out the vent plug. Caused some other damage to the motor as well. Put a new hydraulic motor on, drained the gear oil and replaced with new oil. We will see how it goes. My mechanic did all this, not me.
It looks as though the gear oil was not changed in a long time. Not sure if that would have anything to do with the situation or not. But its changed now.

ROYCE

Was going to be my guess...it happens. Hope he checked the brake out while he was in there....
Yup, he looked over the brake. It was good. Funny, he had me come down and run it just to make sure their was nothing wrong. I got in and went to winch up and it is super smooth now. Before you used to really pull on the lever to get the winch to move, now it moves with the slightest touch. It is much easier to be precise with the cabling up and down now.
I have only had this crane for 6 months or so, and it has been like this all the time. So i just assumed that was normal. Now I just have to wait for the bill......Yikes!!