Crane Sling Preferences on endless loops or webbing for bigger stuff

roxy

Looking for feedback on crane sling preferences, for brand, length, WLL, endless loop vs webbing. What kind of wear differences and why you prefer those. How long is your service life? In theory endless loop should be longer, but is that true?

Just asking about wood slings, for bigger picks, not spider leg balancer and deadeye slings for leads and limbs.

Reach

Endless loop slings last longer, but flat webbing are less expensive and easier to put in place. (Only one leg to worry about). However, I prefer rope slings for everything, wood included. We had a set of ridiculously strong slings made up, 15k lbs. working load limit, for lifting big wood like that.

Reach

Makes sense. Then for trunk wood you use two deadeyes, tied to balance? And you get more adjustability for length.
15K WLL - wow! I like it
Yes, that’s what I like to do. And yes, I love the adjustability.

We had Gap Arborist Supply make the slings for us, they’re made of 3/4” Ultrex. They’ll make you up a set too if you call them.

roxy

We had Gap Arborist Supply make the slings for us, they’re made of 3/4” Ultrex. They’ll make you up a set too if you call them.
What length do you recommend? I've got some MC crane slings, so although these would be /could be used for leads, I'm mostly looking to fill the gap for bigger wood.

Reach

What length do you recommend? I've got some MC crane slings, so although these would be /could be used for leads, I'm mostly looking to fill the gap for bigger wood.
We use 20 and 25’ slings, those seem to be plenty for us. Look at what you pick, or what you prefer, that should determine the lengths that you need.

Reach

climbhightree

Hey, you are still around! Haven’t seen you in a while! Hope you’re doing well, and thank you for the opinion here too. I’ve never lifted with chains.
Yep I'm still here, and check things out on treebuzz every day. I just haven't seen much to comment on recently. Haven't been posting a whole lot on Facebook or Instagram either, just a post here or there about the crane or the new Avant.

I like the chains a lot...more peace of mind than anything. My current chains are 3/8" and rated for 15,200 lbs (20 feet long 2 leg system). I got this size for full capacity, if I remove the fly jib. They are definitely heavy, which causes some issues when setting them. If the boom isn't in the right spot, the weight of the chains make the choke point slide down...so you have to have the boom at the correct height (low enough to choke, but high enough not to fall down). I want to get a set of 5/16" chains, which should be lighter and easier to use but also the correct capacity for when fly jib is on.

oceans

Hi Roxy!!! Glad you’re working with a crane. The alternative is TOOO HAAAHHHHHD!

For wood, my opinion is to go with something without a lot of stretch. Chains, or poly slings with a snap hook are great. It’s a very fast way to set the rigging.

A common issue is a weird trunk node where several stems were removed. They often require asymmetrical lengths if the goal is to pick them without movement using multiple slings. Any sling other than a dead-eye will have to be raised or lowered to effectively change the length between the last cut and the hook.

When stretch isn’t as much of a factor, it’s really easy to dial in the pre-tension prior to the cut. It’s also more responsive when beginning the lift after the cut.

I really do like two slings for trunk picks for the ease of lifting and laying down. I like to set the chokes at 2:00 and 10:00 with the chokes facing each other towards 12:00. Hope that makes sense. The piece gets laid down with 12:00 on top.

You’ll find there’s probably also different preferences between knuckle boom cranes and cable cranes, mostly because cable cranes usually have a ton of scope between the sheave at the end of the boom and the ground. Knuckle booms have a less forgiving time laying a pick down if the piece will shift in the process.

Last edited:

roxy

Thank you everyone. Lots of great information and I will use it all. This is my first crane job where I will be able, as second climber, to do cutting. I've been on lots of crane assisted removals, on the ground though.
Working with a crane experienced climber, so really looking forward to it!

Crimsonking

Thank you everyone. Lots of great information and I will use it all. This is my first crane job where I will be able, as second climber, to do cutting. I've been on lots of crane assisted removals, on the ground though.
Great to hear from you! Have a blast, it’s the most fun work we get to do.

Daryl

Stumpsprouts

I want!
I like to set the chokes at 2:00 and 10:00 with the chokes facing each other towards 12:00. Hope that makes sense.
Same same.

Much prefer dead eye for adjustability, have used webbing but always begrudgingly.

Steve Connally

Crane Man Slings, Sampson Quantum X slings for brush. Chains for wood. I personally don't like flat webbing at all. Tends to slip rather than roll into its happy place under tension. The Gunnebo GrabIq system allows for infinite adjustment of the legs. The MidGrab allows for additional shortening closer to the hook. Round slings are fine if you want to mess with shackles and pins. Sling saver hooks if you are sure you can get them to load correctly. I have 2 sets of chains. 5/16" and 3/8" My chains are 30' long. The length allows me to keep the boom angle higher as I have a K Boom and have to boom down as the trunk gets shorter. Like @oceans said, putting logs on the ground is much more difficult with a knuckle boom and sometimes the chains shift. I hate that. Anyway just make sure you match the WLL to what you're doing. Paul Cox is the trail blazer on the chains.

oceans

I love that you are doing this. And I love that you will be working with an experienced crane climber to get going. Have a blast!

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo
Top Bottom