CRANE!! AM I DREAMING?

ROYCE

Carpal tunnel level member
Is this thing any good? Top sped of 50 mph. We typically work in a 30 mile radius. Looks to be in decent shape, but hard to really tell with out looking at it close. I like that it's small. It has enough boom that I could get almost all my crane trees done. I was wondering if it's a good starter crane? Or just go right to something more like a boom truck, in the 23 ton range with 100 feet of stick? Second link is what I am comparing the it to.

http://altoona.craigslist.org/hvo/5267239007.html

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=11135637&dlr=1&pcid=2024

AmericanArborist

Participating member
I'd get a boom truck over a rough terrain crane. Can you even plate those rough terrain cranes? I know you just got a grapple truck but I still like the idea of a boom truck to set logs on.

ROYCE

I'd get a boom truck over a rough terrain crane. Can you even plate those rough terrain cranes? I know you just got a grapple truck but I still like the idea of a boom truck to set logs on.

That is a good point. It is nice to be able to place a log or two on the crane bed. I just saw that little crane and it reminded me of a company in Massachusetts that has one. They have had it for years and they get a ton of work done with it. Now, they also have a 30 ton National swing cab as well, so they use that for the larger trees. I live in VT, I would have no problem getting a plate for it. :)

AmericanArborist

Participating member
That's an all terrain crane, not a rough terrain. Paul Cox has a similar crane (2 axle, looks like an RT but it's an AT).
I had to look that difference up. All I am really familiar with is boom trucks.

If you were going tandem and getting a 26 ton or bigger for tree work, I would want a rear mounted boom. Check out some auctions. Lots of nice 900a cranes rear mounted on peterbuilts selling for around 67k.

craneguy1

Participating member
So something like this? Seams a little too cheap. However, I bet I could make some money with it if it didn't give me too much trouble. He seamed to do a lot of work to the boom already. I like the heated standing cad too. Winters are cold here.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/hvo/5300734972.html
That hour meter has turned...at least once. Its funny but that exactly how these trucks are always sold...you have to look atthe year the truck was built and go from there...also; having started with a 17 ton boom truck with 81 feet of stick and a few years back going to a 26 with 103', productivity basically doubled.

ROYCE

That hour meter has turned...at least once. Its funny but that exactly how these trucks are always sold...you have to look atthe year the truck was built and go from there...also; having started with a 17 ton boom truck with 81 feet of stick and a few years back going to a 26 with 103', productivity basically doubled.

I will keep that in mind. I think that if I can afford a large crane in the 100 foot stick range that would be best for me. I use a guy right now that is really cheap with a brand new 30 ton with 110 feet of stick. But the reason I am looking into a crane myself is he is really busy. I also want to keep things in house. I HATE relying on other contractors.

ROYCE

Do you really want to do removals all the time? And look at removal jobs all the time.

To answer that in the best way! Yes. And buying a crane does not mean you need to be doing removals all the time. I have structured my business to not need to run a crane everyday to make money. It could sit! I can still do the planting, PHC, pruning, and bucket work.
Also, I get a few calls a week looking for a crane rental to set trusses, move steel for bridge work, set ac units and raise timber-frames. Those jobs are just telling them and hourly rate over the phone with a minimum charge.
I think I have put the crane idea on hold for the time being though.

treevet

Branched out member
Last edited:

Z'sTrees

Branched out member
This is the same model that I have and absolutely LOVE!

I should qualify that statement by saying I have a very small work area of 15 miles tops. These pigs are super slow but you can squeeze them in some tight spots

http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=11308705

Good price if its in good shape....

That would be ideal around here. 47mph top speed would rarely be reached. 4x4 would also be a great feature. I'm really impressed. Too bad 50k is about 50k out of budget right now.

Mangoes

Participating member
Finance it. It will pay you back in spades.

..... If you budget appropriately.

Need to know fixed costs, variable costs, B.E., available units of sale (inventory; hours for labour trades), unit cost, unit sale price after margin, etc.

One could run out and get a Mayer style of crane, do boatloads of extraordinary jobs, but without financial awareness- fail.

Below is a video excerpt from Franklin-Covey's 4 Imperatives of Great Leaders. Ram Sharan talks about the Money Making Model and the 5 Building Blocks of Successful Business.

At 3:40 the discussion about growth and not accounting for cost (including interest on loans) is discussed.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Arbor Expo BayLeafDigital
Top Bottom