Confined Space

tod_k

We did a 50? inch American Elm removal this week. We were ask to get it done in 3 days and PLEASE do'nt break anything. The job was just outside of the city in a back yard with an alley. In this town all of the utilites are aerial and in the small alleys. Jason cleared the 3-phase as best he could with the tower and I started rigging on the house side.

Attachments

tod_k

Josh working the ropes. We tip tied and brought limbs to a rigging point with one winch and then cranked them into another rigging point while releasing the from the oringial rigging point, that is why we used 2 grcs's. Some limbs and wood traveled 50' or more to the rigging point.

Attachments

tod_k

This is after a full day of rigging on the house/yard side. From the alley there are service,telephone, cable, internet wires everywhere as well as many plants, fences etc. Half the tree had to be put in a 15' by 25' space.

Attachments

tod_k

On the second day we had the crane with use. We were able to get the material over the 3-phase. A bit challenging. heres the landing zone. A garage roof.

Attachments

KBacks1

Three days of work and you didn't take any more pictures then that? Come on I want to see more!

Grais

Looks like fun. Nicely done as well.
I'm curious, being Canadian, what kind of 'motions' does one need to go through to work close to the power utility lines like this. In Canada a tree that encroaches on the largest LOA(limit of approach,m much like your guys MAD I believe), on a three phase such as that would be handled by, or under the direction of a CUA, and Im curious if it is similar or different in Chicago ?
Thanks for posting great pics.
Stay safe,
-Grais.

Axman

Nice work as usual Todd. You are the man and so is Jason for tackling these sticky jobs.

Winch on grapple is a good idea. Anyway to get some pics. I have a pretty good idea on how that set-up would look like. Much better than playing around with a chain when the grapple doesn't have enough reach.

Larry

tod_k

We are line clearance certified, we just need to maintain our minimun approach distance.

tod_k

There is a splitter valve at the controls from the outriggers. Pretty simple. It is free going out.

Grais

We would never get away with craning over the three phase, hydro would literally freak out. One might be allowed, if it was absolute the last option available, but there would be a lineman there for the entire job I would imagine.
Im assuming that the piks were not pulled up and over the three phase ?
Hydro is really picky here, to do that work a CUA would have to set up a ANR, etc etc... am I to understand you guys just pull up and start work ??
Do you have to notify the power company?
-Grais

tod_k

We are an approved contractor for the utiliy. Using the crane was the safest and must effcient way. We did pull them over the wires and then to the garage for dismanteling. We did not call the utility if we were going to break MAD with anything people, tools, equipment we can call for our own line kill. This tree we had some room.

Phil

Awesome job. that is some big wood indeed. I know chicago and a 3 day job with a crane is not cheap at all. Any perticular reason the homeowner wanted it down? it wasn't fallin apart and didnt appear to have DED yet so i was just wondering why they decided to shell out that kind of scratch for a total removal. Also, could you please go into a little detail on how you tied the slings to the big wood in the last couple pictures and how they hooked into the crane hook? Were there two slings in that picture?