Comms 2020

TeamDiamond

I realize comms have been discussed many times..I am sure I've read every post. But technology moves at a rapid pace and need an updated recommendation. If you were to invest in a set TODAY knowing what you know...what would you buy and why? I need to decide soon. Leaning towards Protos Integral helmets from Bailey with Sena sets plus one more head set only for the crane. What's best?

Reach

Personally, I would buy the Sena SMH10 system. I like the system, it works, and it’s proven. It’s also fairly universal, most crane companies use it already so they have their own sets, and are familiar with it as well. The giant button causing bump-outs is a nuisance, but I have made up a guard for the button to fix that. As soon as I finish the patent paperwork it will be on the market.

As for hats, I leave that up the the climber. I know a couple guys who love the Protos, but I do not. The earmuffs don’t work well enough for me, and the hat is too heavy. I prefer a Petzl Álveo Vent with a nice set of 3M earmuffs and a Vizir.

VenasNursery

SENA also has a new MESH system that allows better reception for all users, and much more distance/lack of line-of-sight issues.
Has anyone tried the “add-on” mesh on the 30k

was wondering if they do work better with it

and why don’t they just charge more initially and include them especially if that what makes them work the way they advertise them on the box without them? Wtf

colb

I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing adequate out there. Problems range across water resistance, extreme cost, too many menu options, pairing complexity, and cross-helmet-brand compatibility. It's not like any of these hurdles is insurmountable, its just that no one has made something adequate for us.

Crimsonking

Has anyone tried the “add-on” mesh on the 30k

was wondering if they do work better with it

and why don’t they just charge more initially and include them especially if that what makes them work the way they advertise them on the box without them? Wtf
The add-on is for the 10s to mesh with the 30k, since the 10s aren’t equipped with mesh. The 30k can still Bluetooth with 10 without the add on, however.

I’ve not used it yet, but the 50r looks to be the closest thing to Cardo packtalk, which seems to be a top notch product, except that it slides horizontally onto the base and doesn’t lock the way sena 30k and 50r do, which are both vertical.

50r is dustproof and waterproof, hopefully adding some longevity beyond the 10.

TeamDiamond

SENA also has a new MESH system that allows better reception for all users, and much more distance/lack of line-of-sight issues.
Thanks. Ordered 3 sets of the newest TuffTalk Mesh. One for helmet and two regular headsets. We'll see. I do like the built in FM and ease of setup so far!

Edi

Question about SENA 10S
We are all connected, but when I turn off the "main helmet" or the others can't communicate anymore
It is how it suppose to work?

Jehinten

Question about SENA 10S
We are all connected, but when I turn off the "main helmet" or the others can't communicate anymore
It is how it suppose to work?
Yes, as @deevo said. If you know someone will be leaving the jobsite before completion of the job have them paired in as the last headset to avoid a break in communication

Jackel0228

I got an IG license from the FCC to run UHF DMR radios. It's the instant communication that you need, no range issue ever, and the actual transceiver can be the same size as a cell phone. They also have helmet headsets and wireless headsets that pair with the radio that's with you, but it eliminates the wire. My portable units are waterproof, and I have one for each worker. They can make 1 to 1 calls, or all calls. We send texts with ours as well. They have a job ticket function that's built in but I haven't implemented it yet. I even have ours encrypted so there's no worry about eavesdropping. They have lots and lots of capabilities that are fantastic for all kinds of situations. Like lone worker/man down. If the radio doesn't sense movement within a set time period it starts squawking at you and if you still don't acknowledge it it will call for help. Obviously not something everyone would use but still I neat feature.

Add on: the whole system has cost me less than 1500 bucks. And I've got 6 handheld units, and 3 truck mounted units. One in the truck, one in the crane, and one in the Skid-Steer

Last edited:

Reach

I got an IG license from the FCC to run UHF DMR radios. It's the instant communication that you need, no range issue ever, and the actual transceiver can be the same size as a cell phone. They also have helmet headsets and wireless headsets that pair with the radio that's with you, but it eliminates the wire. My portable units are waterproof, and I have one for each worker. They can make 1 to 1 calls, or all calls. We send texts with ours as well. They have a job ticket function that's built in but I haven't implemented it yet. I even have ours encrypted so there's no worry about eavesdropping. They have lots and lots of capabilities that are fantastic for all kinds of situations. Like lone worker/man down. If the radio doesn't sense movement within a set time period it starts squawking at you and if you still don't acknowledge it it will call for help. Obviously not something everyone would use but still I neat feature.

Add on: the whole system has cost me less than 1500 bucks. And I've got 6 handheld units, and 3 truck mounted units. One in the truck, one in the crane, and one in the Skid-Steer
That sounds interesting, but is it voice activated like the SENA sets? And can multiple voices speak at the same time, or would they cancel each other out like most radios?

Jackel0228

No they don't do full duplex communication really well. They CAN be setup that way, but you'd lose you're ability to do any kind of data transfer. Without getting too much into it, DMR uses TDMA technology. 2 timeslots on the same frequency. timeslot one usually carries voice and the other either voice or data.... so yes, to answer your question, they can but its not really the typical setup.

On another note, they CAN be setup with different talk priorities... IE boss is one everyone else is two, so it'll TX interrupt idle chitchat for the boss to talk.

Oh and they don't just walk on each other too much anymore. they just give you a busy tone, so you're not usually allowed to interrupt someone who's talking.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom