combatting Japanese Maple Scale

Zacchaeus

So there's this little bug out there being spread around called Japanese Maple Scale that attacks numerous host trees... Right? Ok.
Well, today I just saw a severe, and I mean SEVERE, infestation of them on, none other than, a Japanese Maple (Lace-leaf to be accurate). No dieback on foliage yet, but I know it's coming if nothing is done.
Who's got experience with treatments for these pests? I believe they are armored, and I understand imidacloprid isn't the best for knocking them out, so soil drench is out. Also too small of diameter to trunk inject. Could spray, but I dislike spraying for many various reasons, except with oils.
Thoughts and advice please?

mrtree

Monitoring and spraying!!!!

Contact Michael Raupp, he is all knowing, and John Davidson is likely nearby and he is certainly more than all knowing with regards to armored scales.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Dinotefuron root soak/ soil injection for sure and then I follow with a trunk and branch spray with a borer rate of Astro or Tandem whenn the degree day calendar saw that crawlers are emerging.
Nasty little bug and hard to get rid of in a single season. I've been seeing a lot of newly planted trees with these critters so Im guessing our nursery folks may need to address this for all of us.

JustinK

Safari is losing its punch in many areas on armored and soft scales. Beware of that. It'll knock em back, but guess who's left to breed?

It's the same with all pesticides, but scale are extra tough.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Is it actual resistance to the product or is the timing off? How about doasage being off? Manufacturers claims are one thing but Ive read the effective period for dinotefuron is only about 50 days or so. That said, if the Safari is applied well before crawler emergence, efficance would be reduced.

JustinK

Is it actual resistance to the product or is the timing off? How about doasage being off? Manufacturers claims are one thing but Ive read the effective period for dinotefuron is only about 50 days or so. That said, if the Safari is applied well before crawler emergence, efficance would be reduced.
Unless my IPM biology is wrong, soil ap "in season" shouldn't hinge on crawlers. If crawlers are out, then Distance+HO will squash em. Ten days to two weeks apart after emergence.

But yeah, my safari post was in reference to soil ap and adult feeders.

JD3000

Most well-known member
I guess what Im saying is that killing adults is much more difficult and applications should be focused on crawlers.
Seems to be especially true for the armored varities.
Maintaining an estate with 15,000 sq ft of winter creeper euonymus and while the population is way down, it's still a thorn in my side.

JD3000

Most well-known member
Justin, good advice on the Distance. Assuming you've had good success with that IGR?