Clogging oil ports on Stihl Lightweight Bars?

27RMT0N

I know I'm not the only person to have problems with this, as I've seen other people complain about it.

The 'normal' bars have wider and straight oil ports, while the lightweight bars have smaller and angled ports. Even with the oiler turned all the way up, on both my 28" 046 and 36" 661 I sometimes have the oil port plug when cutting doug firs with thick bark or a lot of dead/dusty core rot, and especially western red cedars with dead/dusty cores. Before switching to lightweight bars (which I REALLY like otherwise) I didn't really have this problem.

I've seen people mention drilling them out to make them larger, does anyone have any experience or advice with this?

Comparison between the standard and lightweight bar oil ports:

000 stihl standard vs lightweight bar oil port 01.jpg

And an example of the dusty bark I deal with:

000 stihl standard vs lightweight bar oil port 02.jpg

Serf Life

Looked back in my screenshots as I was fighting with a couple bars clogging, a sawyer on another forum said “get a tiny diamond burr and smooth out the feed hole forward. The angled narrow ones suck. They clog more than the older bigger round holes did.[] All the wide nose old bars have the larger hole.”

Like I said, we have the opposite issue and have never clogged the small angled on the 20” Stihl or 24” stihl but regularly do on the perpendicular round ones. Similarly never clogged the extra small oiler port on Husky bars but have on the straight round hole in Oregon pro lights and Tsumura Light. Small hole never clogged on the Echo pro bar which looks like a basic Tsumura.

Rotten conifers are the worst culprit as you referenced. We’re not running 36” bars all day though so... hope that helps some, found lots of conflicting suggestions on all the forums but the above was suggested the most often by apparently seasoned pros.

27RMT0N

It doesn't happen all the time of course, just seems more frequent than with the other bars. Strange you've had the opposite problem Serf....

southsound, you are certainly right backbaring and a little reving out of the cut can help send debris away from the oil port or clear material. Not sure about the high oil setting on the 661 you mention, I'll have to bust out my manual and give it a read.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom