Climbing gear for coconut tree climbing

foresteward

Aloha!

I'm ready to follow that little intuitive voice and go climb some coconut trees here on Maui.

Currently have:
spike-less tree climbing stand (I believe used for hunting perches) that seems a little heavy but will do for the time being.
a harness (full body and just regular waist climbing harness), will have to see how comfortable it is for climbing.

Looking for recommendations on ropes, carabiners, safety lanyards, gloves and any other recommendations. Have a limited budget and not thinking about doing this for money at the moment, but who knows what the future holds.

Currently use a beach towel (looped around feet to add traction) and the "bear-hug the trunk to not fall and die" method for fun.

Any suggestions would be helpful. The bare necessities and then the "nice to have but not essential" ideas.

Mahalo!

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Aloha!

I'm ready to follow that little intuitive voice and go climb some coconut trees here on Maui.

Currently have:
spike-less tree climbing stand (I believe used for hunting perches) that seems a little heavy but will do for the time being.
a harness (full body and just regular waist climbing harness), will have to see how comfortable it is for climbing.

Looking for recommendations on ropes, carabiners, safety lanyards, gloves and any other recommendations. Have a limited budget and not thinking about doing this for money at the moment, but who knows what the future holds.

Currently use a beach towel (looped around feet to add traction) and the "bear-hug the trunk to not fall and die" method for fun.

Any suggestions would be helpful. The bare necessities and then the "nice to have but not essential" ideas.

Mahalo!
That is a big request, and you'd get a huge amount of info from anyone with an opinion, but it would also be completely their opinion. I'd really recommend hooking up with a local climber and playing with their toys and seeing what you like. I know two full time really killer climbers somewhere in Hawaii (maybe on the big island. I can't swear where they're located) that are both very friendly.

Or you can study and study and study some more. The info is out there. Palms are weird but the knowledge has been shared.

Brocky

If just for fun, adding a lanyard would be the minimal to keep you from falling, and continue to climb as you are. If doing work to remove dead stuff, I believe it is recommended to come from above and work down, so you don’t get trapped.
Does the full body harness have a front attachment point? If not the waist type would probably be better.
Another simple way to ascend would be the traditional Japanese method of Burinawa, just two sticks and about thirty to forty feet of rope, along with a lanyard for sure. You wouldn’t need the tree stand with this as it provides a loop, or the stick once set, to stand on.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
One thing I always consider when working palms is utilizing a system that will not only facilitate efficient access to the canopy of the palm, but will also offer the option of quick abandonment. Between Ganoderma zonatum and Thielaviopsis paradoxa, both of which can seriously compromise the butt or stem of a palm while remaining latent, I don't want myself, or anyone working with me to be in a position where they can't immediately abseil to the ground if the stem starts moving in an unwanted way. You simply can't climb down out of a palm fast enough in an emergency.

Use either an srt or ddrt climbing system run through the center of the canopy of the palm and anchored at the base. It hits all the high marks for relative ease and efficiency of ascent and access, keeping oneself outside any significant accumulation of dead fronds, and the ability to effect a quick escape.

Kudos to the late and very great Bruce Smith for teaching myself and many others this approach to working palms.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
Check out @dbtree on Instagram. He is TreeBuzz trained.
TreeBuzz trained? That's a pretty broad brush for an endorsement, considering some of the deathwish tree people posting examples of their unsafe work practices in here while simultaneously representing themselves as information sources. Granted, there are people in this world whose purpose in life is mainly to serve as a warning to others. Better just to say he's competent at what he does.

colb

TreeBuzz trained? That's a pretty broad brush for an endorsement, considering some of the deathwish tree people posting examples of their unsafe work practices in here while simultaneously representing themselves as information sources. Granted, there are people in this world whose purpose in life is mainly to serve as a warning to others. Better just to say he's competent at what he does.
For your consideration, it's easy to deconstruct just about any open source information depository, and just about any cert in our industry. TreeBuzz contains more relevant and accessible information for our industry than any other source. Does one need a filter? Yes, just like a person attending MIT needs one. The difference between TreeBuzz and other educational resources in our industry is that it is voluminous, accessible, and ever-advancing. Just like Wikipedia and the R Foundation, TreeBuzz is a big deal for the newcomer or professional looking to advance in an information-based world.

cerviarborist

Very stable member
And for your consideration, What credentials and certifications does the party hold, and for how long. TreeBuzz is great, but let's be real. What comes from the buzz is (or certainly should be) a small percentage of their knowledge base. I love the buzz, have for years, and hope to enjoy it long into the future, but with everything I've invested in gaining competency in this industry, if that's the best someone can think of to say about me, I'd just as soon they kept quiet.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Man, Daniel comes up all over.

Brocky

That’s a good video, I had forgotten about the upside down descent. He is using the traditional way of using figure eight wraps to finish each placement, clove hitch, or cat’s paw are shown in others. I noticed that the climber quickly switched to two rope sections behind the tree for better holding. Another video I’ve seen shows how to tie single, double, and triple sections of rope for different diameters.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom