Cinching Mid-Line Knot?

dtreez

Anyone have a good one?

Example: The other day we ended up tying a running bowline near the top of a leaning tree to stabilize it, ran the rigging line down through a crotch in a neighboring pin oak, and had 40' of rope left at the base of the tree.

How would you have tied off that leaning tree at the base of the pin oak with all the extra tail?

Jehinten

Anyone have a good one?

Example: The other day we ended up tying a running bowline near the top of a leaning tree to stabilize it, ran the rigging line down through a crotch in a neighboring pin oak, and had 40' of rope left at the base of the tree.

How would you have tied off that leaning tree at the base of the pin oak with all the extra tail?
In that scenario, locked off on a porta wrap is probably best. Another option would be to take a couple of trunk wraps and then tie an alpine butterfly with hardware on the leg of rope.

evo

Anyone have a good one?

Take a few wraps like a tensionless hitch and terminate with half hitches. Can be released under load.

Running Bowline tied WITH a bite works, but hard to do on a loaded rope

rope-a-dope

Depends on if you want to do anything else with the rope besides untie it. I tie a running double bowline if you just want to base anchor midline. But if that rope ends up with any load....you better have a plan.

TreeCo

The stilson hitch works great. Some of it would be doubled line. I've used it hundreds of times. It ends up being a girth hitch around the trunk with a half hitch follow up.

Serf Life

I do what evo suggested which is fast and you can get it tensioned with body weight. Clovehitch is nice but harder to capture tension. If you want it super tight, do a z-rig with a bock on the pin oak to a pulley/biner AB midline and terminate as above. Block and pulley are mid line attachable with 40’ of tail vs rig-ring, truckers hitch etc.

Crimsonking

In that scenario: use the tail to tie a running bowline, then tie a butterfly directly above the bowline. Tie a butterfly as high as you can reach, then pull a bight through the low butterfly, keeping the line coming down tight. Then thread the bight through the upper butterfly. It’s a truckers hitch, which allows you to add some tension to the guy line.

Last edited:

dtreez

I do what evo suggested which is fast and you can get it tensioned with body weight. Clovehitch is nice but harder to capture tension. If you want it super tight, do a z-rig with a bock on the pin oak to a pulley/biner AB midline and terminate as above. Block and pulley are mid line attachable with 40’ of tail vs rig-ring, truckers hitch etc.
I like that solution for sure.

dtreez

In that scenario: use the tail to tie a running bowline, then tie a butterfly directly above the bowline. Tie a butterfly as high as you can reach, then pull a bight through the low butterfly, keeping the line coming down tight. Then thread the night through the upper butterfly. It’s a truckers hitch, which allows you to add some tension to the guy line.
That's not bad either.

Reactions: evo

Phil

You can tie a circus bowline (aka farmers knot) to get a crude 3:1 MA if you want to get some tension on the line. This knot will untie after a pretty heavy load. Be careful of loading alpine butterflys with machines, winches or come alongs. They may turn into a knife knot. Adding a crab to the knot means you won't have to pull all your tail through. Then just take trunk wraps and lock off with some half hitches.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts Climbing Innovations
Top Bottom