Cicada Brood X

Tuebor

The froth is bubbling on social media about the coming cicada invasion of brood X. Thought I'd start a thread to hold some related content. Post articles, photos, thoughts and ideas related to cicadas and their effects on trees.

Here's a local article with some quotes from Ann Arbor's urban forestry and natural resources planner:

‘They’re going to be everywhere.’ Ann Arbor preparing for massive swarms of cicadas

In response, Ann Arbor is suspending its spring tree planting efforts and has created a webpage at www.a2gov.org/cicada to help residents prepare, including tips on how to protect valuable trees, shrubs and other plants with netting.

While the cicadas can be loud and annoying with their singing — some comparing it to a train coming through when the bugs really get going — they do have ecological benefits and perform an important function by effectively pruning larger trees when laying their eggs in small branches, Giacobazzi said.

The downside is they can hurt smaller trees, and trees planted in the last two to five years have perfect-sized branches that will be susceptible to damage, Giacobazzi said.

“When it’s a small sapling that’s planted like the size of trees that the city of Ann Arbor plants ... every branch on there is the size they want to use,” she said. “So, they end up laying eggs in all the branches on the tree and it ends up girdling them, so it splits the branches open and it kills the whole tree when they’re smaller, so that’s why the city has suspended tree planting.”

The city expects some of the trees it has planted in recent years will die, Giacobazzi said.

As part of its annual tree-planting program, the city was going to plant about 500 more trees around town this spring, but it’s now aiming to do additional plantings in the fall and next spring to make up for the canceled plans.

Many different types of trees will be susceptible to damage or pruning by the cicadas, Giacobazzi said.

“It’s going to be pretty much all of the hardwoods, so all of the deciduous trees that are out there,” she said. “The only trees they really don’t affect are conifers, so the pines, the spruces, things like that. Every other tree is pretty much fair game. Their favorites are oak, maple, elm, a lot of the big ones we plant.”

Bucknut

Doing a few soil drenches today. Noticed what I thought were a bunch of plugs from lawn aeration. But then I wondered why all these plugs were in a mulched bed.
As I got closer, I had a suspicion what they were. So I dug up a couple and sure enough....

A9298AA6-3BC3-4D64-B41F-23CC3C2E6A61.jpeg DEDE88D4-3F14-44CC-88B3-76D33C990322.jpeg C09591D1-42C4-4995-A72E-5530333C3810.jpeg Gonna be a loud summer. I know they’re harmless, but it still sucks when they land on your face up in a tree.

Tuebor

Gonna be a loud summer. I know they’re harmless, but it still sucks when they land on your face up in a tree.
Oh man, that would freak me out, lol. I love them though. Where I live, brood X will make no difference - it will be just as loud as any other year. Usually hear the first ones about a week after the 4th of July. Bums me out because it's a reminder summer has peaked and I haven't done anything fun yet.

New threads New posts

Kask Stihl NORTHEASTERN Arborists Wesspur TreeStuff.com Kask Teufelberger Westminster X-Rigging Teufelberger Tracked Lifts
Top Bottom